Dead PowerBook G3 (Firewire)???

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
OK, this computer will be 4 years old next month. I decided to get more RAM (512MB) and install it. I installed the ram and the computer worked fine. I checked the amount of ram (640MB -128+512-) and ran Tech tool pro to check the ram I installed (nothing bad found). When I was running on battery, the screen shut off like it should to save battery, but never turned back on when I moved the mouse. I restarted and all worked fine and put the computer back to sleep when I went to bed like I always do. This morning the screen never turned on even after a restart AND never recognized a second monitor I sometimes use. I thought it was a RAM thing so I took it out. Now the scary thing. NOTHING powers up when I press the startup button. The only thing showing ANY response is the battery indicator built into the battery and the CAPS LOCK key (the little green light). There is no startup chime, hard drive powering up and clicking of the CD-ROM.

I don't want to send it away to have it repaired but I can do it as a last resort. What do I do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    As a second, also important note; is there a laptop hard drive to firewire converter out there or some way I can hook up the drive to my Beige G3? I ned to get my homework off the drive. (I only have one Mac laptop and target disk mode dosn't work)
  • Reply 2 of 9
    michaelmichael Posts: 25member
    Sorry to hear about the powerbook! I can only recommend trying to reset the power manager, and trying to boot it again. The button is on the back, next to the modem port. If that doesn't work, then I have no idea from here.

As far as your harddrive is concerned, when I installed a new drive in my Pismo, I put the old one in a firewire drive enclosure. They're pretty cheap and readily available. this is the cheapest 2.5" enclosure I"ve seen available, but I haven't had an experience with it, personally. click

USB enclosures can be had for as little as $10, but of course, they're much slower.

If you want to spend a little more and get something cooler and faster, Other World has a nifty little enclosure for less than $100

click

Good luck! I hope you can get it straightened out!

ciao,

michael
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Well, the reset button didn't work, but thanks for the links. I may need to get one Sunday is nothing works soon. If you have any more ideas, don't hesitate to post! \
  • Reply 4 of 9
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Doesn't look like zapping the PRAM would help, but it's worth a try: hold down command, option, p and r at startup. Also try zapping the NVRAM (achieved by zapping the PRAM a few times in succession).
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Nope. It's almost like the motherboard and conponents dosn't have power with the exception of the keybaord. I don't think there is a power cable that was unpluged. The processor card seemed loose once but I made sure it was down. (It dosn't click, right?) I thought it might have loosened when I put in the ram. ??????????????\
  • Reply 6 of 9
    OOOH! Hey! Take the processor card out again, remove the RAM from the top slot. Put the card back in and press REALLY HARD down on it just over the socket. It won't "click" but you will definitely feel it seat. Then put the RAM back in the top slot and fire the girl up!

yes?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I don't think I shorted anything out. Even a gutted PC (no processor, ram, hard drive) would have a LED indecating a fault or a fan spinning. Spinning up a hard drive dosn't use the computer processor.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    WHOAA! It worked!! MICHAEL YOU ARE FüCKING AWESOME!!!!!

Here take-

Thank you SOOOOOO much!!! 8)

When I become rich and famous I will remember this.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    WOOOO-HOOOOOO!

No need to pay me, I'm more than happy to help. Same thing happened to me when I got my processor back from powerlogix after I did the upgrade. I just didn't put two-and-two together until you mentioned having removed the cpu card to put the RAM in.

ciao,

michael