Ancient OS History

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I know you guys are going to scoff,

but I actually think that OS 8.5 is very stable & secure enough to use on the web.

I wanted to use it on my I-macs ( one is a 350 slot loader, the other is a 600 slot loader )

But I can't get them to load this Os system up..

I keep being told that they are not suitable..

i think there must be a way a round this issue..

Can anyone help ?

tips appreciated...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
  • Reply 2 of 8
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    As I recall, Mac OS 8.6 is the earliest version that will run on the slot-loading iMacs. I think you're outta luck.

edit: gah! dobby beat me to it. Ah well, I think that confirms it.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    8.6 is just as good as 8.5, it was a free update, no?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Yes, 8.6 is the minimum required for a lot of stuff (I think it's the earliest version that can run CarbonLib, which makes it essential for running carbon apps). It's not as demanding as OS 9, and it's more stable. Also, it has all the features OS 9 has except it has Sherlock 1 vs. Sherlock 2 (version 1 is far better than 2, much faster), and it also doesn't have voice passwords (also useless). There are a few things that require OS 9 but most applications work just as well in 8.6 as they do in 9. In fact, iTunes has a checker that prevents it from installing unless you have OS 9 or later. Someone hacked it and now you can run iTunes in OS 8.6... but I don't know where to get the hacked version.

Anyway, 8.6 was a free upgrade from 8.5/8.5.1 so there's no reason not to use it. It's often a good idea to run the same OS that shipped with your computer even it it's supported for newer OSes. If you stay with the stock OS, then you know your computer can handle it.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    OT a little bit, but does anyone remember what version of OS 8 was in that hacking contest?

They set up a stock OS 8 box and served a web page and let hackers go at and it and no one could do it. Give it OS 8 Wouldnt be my first choice for a server OS but its still kind of cool.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

OT a little bit, but does anyone remember what version of OS 8 was in that hacking contest?

They set up a stock OS 8 box and served a web page and let hackers go at and it and no one could do it. Give it OS 8 Wouldnt be my first choice for a server OS but its still kind of cool.

FWIW www.army.mil runs Mac OS 8 or 9 on Webstar 4.5, which is an ultra secure configuration (they switched after being hacked into running some M$ software).
  • Reply 7 of 8
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Mac OS 8.6 is stable, provided you don't run any applications, use the base set of extensions, and unplug the keyboard and mouse.

Actually, I don't see the point in not running OS 9...if you don't want to run X, that is.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

iTunes has a checker that prevents it from installing unless you have OS 9 or later. Someone hacked it and now you can run iTunes in OS 8.6... but I don't know where to get the hacked version.

Found the Patch to make iTunes work with OS 8.6.

http://www.wormintheapple.gr

Go to downloads section.

I tried to post it into this area but Brad got all trigger happy & moved it to the "peripherals" section..the Dead Zone..

Brad if you read this pleeze note the patch is not for Ipods OK or any peripherals.

It is for helping guys running macs with early than OS-9 systems to get iTunes to play music on their Macs..not their iPods..

So Pleeeze can ye leave this here..as a reply....to Luca's inquiry ?