Half life 2: the future of FPS gaming

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just watched the 20 minute long gamespy video of HL2.

this is the most impressive game I've ever seen.

Doom 3, Halo 2, none of these even come close to being in the same breath as half-life 2. Wow.

I'm not even much of a gamer anymore, but I saw this and was just blown away, best. physics engine. ever.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

I just watched the 20 minute long gamespy video of HL2.

this is the most impressive game I've ever seen.

Doom 3, Halo 2, none of these even come close to being in the same breath as half-life 2. Wow.

I'm not even much of a gamer anymore, but I saw this and was just blown away, best. physics engine. ever.

Nah...Doom 3 has the better physics, lighting, and graphics.

In Half-Life 2, notice how the flying gizmoes don't even cast shadows. In one of the videos I saw, there's a barrel rolling towards the player...and after shooting it, the barrel is sent on a backwards roll. LOL! Not sure if that's just shitty physics or just some frickin' powerful gun.

I'm curious what exactly from Half Life 2 does Doom 3 'not come close to'? Are you one of those Half Life 2 fanboys hanging out on the Ars Technica forums? You sound just like one of the them. Lots of talk but no explanation why.

Sure, I was impressed with the graphics, and the facial expressions, and the ragdoll physics...but I'm a little curious about why the physics engine is the 'best...physics engine...ever'. So far the Doom 3 trailer has shown excellent facial expressions like the ones in HL2 and ragdoll physics for bodies being thrown around.

So far, things I've seen in the Doom 3 trailer that are way beyond what I've seen in Half Life 2 are these:

lighting effects, deformable environment, life-like movement of the player and the monster

Doom 3 seems to be more scary than what I've seen in Half Life 2.

Sorry but, IMO, it's no contest. Doom 3 wins hands down.

And this is from someone who hated Doom and Doom 2 and Quake 3. I'm no id software fanboy, believe me.

Unless you've seen more Half Life 2 movie clips than I have, I suggest that you link them so I can take a further look as to why Half Life 2 has a 'good physics engine'.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I'll take both..gladly. However this time, when I whack a scientist in the head with a crowbar I want to see blood LOL
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

I'm curious what exactly from Half Life 2 does Doom 3 'not come close to'?

In a word: gameplay.

Games from id have always been superior on graphics to anything else at the time. At the same time, that's all they are. The original Half-Life was immersive, with the storyline drawing you forward and making you care about what was going on. It wasn't just another level of "things to kill".

For all the creepiness of the Doom III trailer, it doesn't appear to have much of a story line. If all you want in your FPS is great graphics (if your video card can handle it) and endless shooting, choose Doom III. If you are willing to sacrifice some of the graphics for much more interesting gameplay and story, choose Half-Life II.

What makes you think "a good physics engine" is what it takes to make a good game? Trespasser had that, but the game absolutely sucked.

I assume you've played the original Half-Life, prior to giving some of your more incendiary comments? To this day, it is probably one of the best single-player FPS I've ever played. I'm sincerely hoping Half-Life II will be as fun as the original.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Got a link or could you post a .MOV on a .mac site?
  • Reply 5 of 25
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 6 of 25
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by John Whitney

In a word: gameplay.

Games from id have always been superior on graphics to anything else at the time. At the same time, that's all they are. The original Half-Life was immersive, with the storyline drawing you forward and making you care about what was going on. It wasn't just another level of "things to kill".

For all the creepiness of the Doom III trailer, it doesn't appear to have much of a story line. If all you want in your FPS is great graphics (if your video card can handle it) and endless shooting, choose Doom III. If you are willing to sacrifice some of the graphics for much more interesting gameplay and story, choose Half-Life II.

What makes you think "a good physics engine" is what it takes to make a good game? Trespasser had that, but the game absolutely sucked.

I assume you've played the original Half-Life, prior to giving some of your more incendiary comments? To this day, it is probably one of the best single-player FPS I've ever played. I'm sincerely hoping Half-Life II will be as fun as the original.

A game doesn't necessarly need a story for it to be fun. It just depends on what you want. Both games will have their fan bases.

But to say that Half Life 2 has the better graphics and physics engine is just nonsense.

Heck...the last thing I need right now is a game with a good immersive storyline that'll flunk me out of school. When I was in high school, I used to love certain RPGs for their intricate plots and immersive storylines. I also had a lot of time to waste back then.

Now, I don't. Doom 3 will serve just fine for me now.

So, you see, some people just want mindless fun. I've morphed into that type of person that likes these no-plot-games that I can play for a bit and then stop.

The Doom 3 engine will be available to 3rd-party eventually so they can build their 'immersive storyline' games anyways.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    willywalloowillywalloo Posts: 408member
    In Half-Life 2, the perspective engine is also a little warped, when you look up and down the buildings morph way to much, almost like your looking through alien eyes, know what I mean?

But everything else looks pretty awesome, the realism of the different objects: wood acts like wood, barrels bounce like they are supposed to, water buoyancy keeps some things afloat, while others sink.

In this game, objects really have a chance to interact.

One step closer...
  • Reply 8 of 25
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Quote:

Sorry but, IMO, it's no contest. Doom 3 wins hands down.

I downloaded the Doom 3 QT.

I was impressed. But, I was more jaw-dropping when I saw the earlier demos. This time...I was kinda lukewarm, '...yeah...that's good...'

I downloaded the HL 2 QT.

My jaw dropped. Amazing.

That was the difference between the two. I felt HL2 had the better faces (amazing on the Prof Evil guy...), better environments, better textures, the better narrative, the better interaction, better weapons, better wit, more 'realism', a greater depth and substance, a better showcase for what is going to define gaming over the next several years.

Yeah. Doom 3 had 'the lighting'(and...I may agree here...I think Doom III had the 'better' or rather, the more 'atmospheric' lighting...), it had some dynamic backgrounds and rag doll stuff. So. No doubting it's 'there'. But the sheer execution in HL2? Blew Id right out of the water. And that takes some doing. Id usually lead on the 'next big thing'. But out of nowhere HL2 has taken it and gone on some again.

I may buy Doom 3. I like shallow blasters.

I may buy HL2. I hate narrative. But this game may convince me otherwise. It brilliantly demonstrated the next generation of graphics from shimmering water, reflective surfaces to expansive environments. The sheer interaction with the environment was incredible. I'm not seeing that in the Doom III demo'...not beyond any previous Id' game. The Ai in HL2 looks stunning. I particulary like the way you can control creatures with a pheremone...and get the mig mogs to attack your enemy. Nasty. HL2 also has...

...crowbars. I love crowbars...

I just hope both come to me and a 970/9700 POWERMAC sometime soon...

I liked Doom. It's like me, brainless. I never played 2. I never played HL 1. Saw it running. Wasn't impressed. Don't like narrative all that much.

Except in Marathon. Oh for a Marathon game based on the HL2 engine...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Why don't Apple do a M$/Bungie. Just buy these guys out. Instant growth. Launch with 970.

Pull the PC version. If EVER...Apple wanted to get really into games? Now would be the right time. They've got 4 billion in the bank. This would be one hell of an aquisition. They'd make the money back licensing the engine.

Hey...what goes around...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Just replayed the D3 vid'. Hmmm. Those monsters sure are great. And it's got that D3 claustrophobic atmosphere.

Hmmmm.

I'd like both. One's a King Size Whopper for quick nutritional fulfillment. The other is Caviar for whining and dining yer narrative.

Hey...I'm a broad church (quickly back peddling out of the debate...)

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 11 of 25
    adpowersadpowers Posts: 188member
    Wait, so you want Apple to pull a Microsoft by buying out a game company with a much anticipated game soon to be released, and then yanking it from the competing platforms? You want people to hate Apple as I hate Microsoft for the Bungie/Halo fiasco? That is a good way to get people to like Apple, piss them off by removing a highly anticipated game.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Uhuh.

Yes.

That's right.

Cos, if PC users are going to hate Apple...we may as well give them a proper reason...

...and we'd have hate...sure...but grudging respect for having the best game out there.

Hey. It worked for M$. Plenty of X-Box sold on the back of Halo...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 13 of 25
    spotcatbugspotcatbug Posts: 195member
    Anybody got links for these HL2 and D3 movies? I haven't seen either yet.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    link?
  • Reply 15 of 25
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    No clue, since I'm not a big gamer, but the thread got me intrigued a little... here's some links I found in a couple minutes, not sure if they're the ones being referred to (they're .avi, so you'll most likely need divx or something like mplayer/vlc to play these):

Doom 3:

31MB

http://mir2.ovh.net/ftp.planetquake3...ideo-hires.zip

61MB

http://216.127.90.3/movies/d3e32003.zip

HL 2:

41MB

http://trance.releases.cz/temp/demo/...deo1-hires.zip

Edit: me thinks I found a link to the HL 2 QT video, 500 MB so it's large (use the peer to peer link in the middle)

http://web.filefront.com/iron-bin/ff...zip;cache__1F;
  • Reply 16 of 25
    adpowersadpowers Posts: 188member
    You can also grab some through BitTorrent here.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    The HL2 movie I saw was almost 30 minutes long, and it was 500 megs. I won't be posting that one any time soon

I have never been very impressed by doom 3, I remember specifically seeing one screen that just made me laugh, it was of two lumbering oafs walking into a room, and they had identical texture mapping, the caption to it was talking about how great the texture mapping is.(not in a facetious way)

The original HL was super immersive, I really enjoyed that game, even when it took some questionable twists and turns.

I am not a fanboy of any game, I'm not much of a gamer at all, but when I saw this HL2 video my jaw dropped and I remembered what it was like to be a gamer, doom 3 did not even come close to doing that for me.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:

I am not a fanboy of any game, I'm not much of a gamer at all, but when I saw this HL2 video my jaw dropped and I remembered what it was like to be a gamer, doom 3 did not even come close to doing that for me.

My point.

Lemon Bon Bon

PS. Take away the monsters in Doom 3 and what have you got? The lighting looked good and moody until HL2 happened. Sure, the models are detailed and textures good. The intro' sequence looked 16-bit-ee...the in-game sequence okay... But nothing new here. Same old Id' experience which will no doubt please 'some'.

PPS. In everyway, HL2 looks a whole 'nuther' generation ahead. The texturing looked far superior to my eyes, not 'just' on the creatures...but the superb variety and quality in the environments. The Doom3 textures looked 'good' on the creatures...but the environment? Very yawn sc-fi hackneyed. The lighting is far more subtle. The Ai. The way the physics are built 'INTO' the game. The gameplay elements. The design. The environments.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Edit: me thinks I found a link to the HL 2 QT video, 500 MB so it's large (use the peer to peer link in the middle)

http://web.filefront.com/iron-bin/ff...zip;cache__1F;

That's awsome. Most impressive sh't I've ever seen. Drool.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    I watched the 500 meg HL2 video as well, and was extremely impressed. I do agree that Doom 3 seems to have superior lighting, but after watching this, I am looking forward to Half Life 2 much more. I just hope that it still is coming to the Mac... Anyone know?