son of XP - Windows is for sissies

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    OMG! Read this information about Palladium. A bit long. Scary stuff. Scary stuff indeed. If they pull this off, I can see many people switch to the mac.

From the text:

Quote:

Seen in these terms, TCPA and Palladium do not so much provide security for the user as for the PC vendor, the software supplier, and the content industry. They do not add value for the user, but destroy it. They constrain what you can do with your PC in order to enable application and service vendors to extract more money from you. This is the classic definition of an exploitative cartel - an industry agreement that changes the terms of trade so as to diminish consumer surplus.

• Reply 22 of 30
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Did anyone bother to read the article??? It's a bit long, I know, but it explains in detail how Palladium will work, and what this could mean for the consumer. Some of this stuff is scary to say the least, and I think everybody SHOULD read this. (It you don't want to, you don't need to tell me )

Some examples from the article:

Quote:

It provides a computing platform on which you can't tamper with the applications, and where these applications can communicate securely with the vendor. The obvious application is digital rights management (DRM): Disney will be able to sell you DVDs that will decrypt and run on a Palladium platform, but which you won't be able to copy. The music industry will be able to sell you music downloads that you won't be able to swap. They will be able to sell you CDs that you'll only be able to play three times, or only on your birthday. All sorts of new marketing possibilities will open up.

Pirate software can be detected and deleted remotely. It will also make it easier for people to rent software rather than buying it; and if you stop paying the rent, then not only does the software stop working but so may the files it created.

TCPA provides for a monitoring and reporting component to be mounted in future PCs. The preferred implementation in the first phase of TCPA is a `Fritz' chip - a smartcard chip or dongle soldered to the motherboard.

When you boot up your PC, Fritz takes charge. He checks that the boot ROM is as expected, executes it, measures the state of the machine; then checks the first part of the operating system, loads and executes it, checks the state of the machine; and so on.

• Reply 23 of 30
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    LOL, rental software. Stop paying the monthly fee, and a remote server automatically deletes the now pirate software, and of course any and all files created with the software.

In other words, you don't own your computer, it owns you, and "it" is owned by corporations. Thus, like in so many other parts of our lives, the corporations will own the user, who idiotically expects to own the computer he/she bought.

I've got a feeling Microsoft will hit this one out of the park. Americans LOVE this sort of crap, they line up 'round the block to get reamed over a barrell by corporations. When they see Office priced at $400 to own, or $15 per month to rent, they'll rent, not caring about details, just "oh another version will be out in 2 years, so I'll just rent and get the free version updates".
  • Reply 24 of 30
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xmoger

First, a robust OS isn't easy to create. Apple tried for years to write their own, then bought Next.

That's a long story there. It's not that simple.

Apple had a GUI OS with preemptive multitasking, memory protection and an almost Mac OS Classic-like GUI before the Mac even existed: the LisaOS.

Apple had a UNIX OS with all its benefits - including their own custom X11 server - that was capable of running Mac OS 7 apps also: A/UX.

However, LisaOS was too complex (oh, the irony) for the Mac, and A/UX was for 68k only, and stupid shareholders said it wasn't worth porting to ppc32.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Did anyone bother to read the article???

I just did, it's scary. I'm scared by it on a basic level. College student, can't afford Word. pirates Word. writes essay in Word. turns essay in, teacher loses essay and asks student to provide a new copy. Student goes back to computer. Palladium got happy. Word is gone. Students essay is gone. Teacher doesn't believe student wrote essay. Student fails. Student yells '****' very loudly.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

They're even starting to use Pinstripes! Do they have no shame!?

Click MSs innovative UI Design.

OMG- I HATE MICROSOFT SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!! What a rip off!

You think that they would come up with something origional- ha- yeah right!

Don't you love the pinstripes, and all the glossy looking icons?

I think that apple may have a good chance to come back strong on this one- we basically have longhorn right now- while windozzzz users are stuck until 2005? I'll love to see what apple has when microsoft is touting its lastest and greatest in 2005- man- apple can make a lot of improvment in 2 years...
  • Reply 27 of 30
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

OMG! Read this

This just goes to show what many people have believed for years:

Bill Gates and Microsoft are the ****ing spawn of Satan!

• Reply 28 of 30
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Seems to be, well, blue. Not a subtle Aqua blue but a really vicious blue.

If you want to run really old (Mac) software on nearly any computer then you can use an emulator, like Basilisk II. Even runs on Mac OS X.

Quote:

Microsoft says that Palladium won't make anything suddenly stop working.

Not suddenly, as that might be unpopular. \

This is the bit that I remember most from my Computer Security modules:

Quote:

25. So a `Trusted Computer' is one that can break my security?

Now you've got it.

• Reply 29 of 30
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by agent302

I just did, it's scary. I'm scared by it on a basic level. College student, can't afford Word. pirates Word. writes essay in Word. turns essay in, teacher loses essay and asks student to provide a new copy. Student goes back to computer. Palladium got happy. Word is gone. Students essay is gone. Teacher doesn't believe student wrote essay. Student fails. Student yells '****' very loudly.

Hehe, I believe I see what you're trying to say, but that's a bad example. Student should be able to afford $99 Office for Students... alternatively when student enters college, student either has new computer with some Office suite, or student should be told by college to get OpenOffice.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

They're even starting to use Pinstripes! Do they have no shame!?

Click MSs innovative UI Design.

I don't know the origin of the picture, could just be some stock photography, but if you click that link, you will notice that the image on the top right picture of a monitor is one of the images included in the "Beach" screensaver.