AAC audio quality...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
is blowing me away. I just converted a track of about 47 minutes I recorded off the radio into AAC (mono, 48 kbps) and the quality has actually, I kid you not, improved. The noise (you are bound to get while ripping off the radio) is practically gone, really. It's gone from pretty much noise to inaudible noise. The voice quality (it's an interview) is practically unimpaired... (and mind you, I'm listening to this on my decent hi-fi set, through my iMic). I am quite amazed by this quality.

Oh, and of course, there's the nice advantage that I went from a 448 MB file to a 16 MB one.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Did you rip with iTunes?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Did you rip with iTunes?

There wasn't much ripping going on. I recorded through my iMic from live radio (the olden type, you know, FM), using Sound Studio 2.1. I did convert the resulting AIFF file with iTunes. [I'm thinking the word 'rip' typically denotes the process of taking the audio from an audio CD].
  • Reply 3 of 4
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I have been very dissapointed with AAC audio.

Perhaps its Apple's encoder but a lot of the stuff I am encoding comes out sounding like crap.

1.) A couple encoded songs have like a static sound in them for a couple seconds. This is not on the original, not on the MP3 i rip of it, only the AAC

2.) the sound quality just aint great. it's missing something. I'm not an audiophile so I cant say exactly what.... but to my hears there is a noticeable loss in the sound listening to 128 and even 160 AAC files on my car stereo or home stereo.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

I have been very dissapointed with AAC audio.

I haven't tried the iTunes enconder, but I've tried a few scripts/programs that used the Quicktime encoder. You can set this for higher quality. Before I got too far doing that, I decided to go with the LAME encoder instead (http://lame.sourceforge.net/). I downloaded a script that uses iTunes and LAME to rip my CDs. It's slow, but relatively transparent in how it works. The sound quality is as good or better than the iTunes MP3 encoder, with the exception of a song it just couldn't encode. With the improved sound, I dropped down from 192 to 160 kbs to do my ripping. That's probably what I would use for AAC, so there's no difference in the size of the files, and for now, the MP3s are more portable.