usbstick/flash drive auto-unmounting

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a freecom USBStick, which is a USB flash drive. I love it as it allows me to move files quickly and easily between my Mac at home and my PC at work.

When it is plugged in, my Mac immediately mounts it as a drive on the desktop, but if I then leave it unused for 10 minutes, my Mac (Mac OS X 10.2.4) automatically unmounts the drive after about 10 minutes and flashes up an error to the effect of "Your drive was not properly put away. This may cause damage to files." The same message as if you pull it out of the slot without unmounting it first.

The only time it caused me any real problems was when I was editing a Word file directly from the drive when it dismounted. Because it could not see the drive to save changes, I lost everything since the last save. However it is rather annoying.

I think this may also happen to my digital camera (Sony/Memory Stick via USB) but that is never connected any longer than it takes to download the photos, so have not tried it for a while.

The issue has been raised by someone else in Freecom's support forum, but no answer has been posted. I suspect that it is a Mac OS X thing though as I don't think it happens in Mac OS 9.