AGP 2x 4x 8x lets discuss

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So when Apple went to a 133MHz bus they also went to a 4xAGP slot.

Most likely be it Apollo G4's or G5's the Macworld Powermac's will probably get another bus speed increase...along with this do you think Apple will add 8xAGP?

Also, another question for the Eskimo types out there:

How much of a performance increase is there when you in increase the AGP? Say if I had two identical systems, same processors, same bus speed, identical GPU's except that one was 2xAGP and one was 4xAGP would there be a noticeable difference just based on the AGP being 4x compared to 2x? I am just trying to understand other than being able to saturate and offload more on to the card what real gains are there when increasing the AGP multiplier?

Also, does the implementation of HyperTransport affect AGP at all? I remember there being some discussion somewhere that the industry is looking to move away from AGP. Intel to their own thing....nVidia and the HyperTransport consortium to another thing. Or am I mistaken here?

Lets discuss.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I would be surprised if we saw an 8x AGP slot before MWNY and more likely we won't see it until MWSF next year or later.

As for the rest ask someone else

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Telomar ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 12
    [quote]How much of a performance increase is there when you in increase the AGP? Say if I had two identical systems, same processors, same bus speed, identical GPU's except that one was 2xAGP and one was 4xAGP would there be a noticeable difference just based on the AGP being 4x compared to 2x? .<hr></blockquote>

Depends on the speed of the main bus. If bus speed is the limiting factor, there should be no difference.

For example, say you have two systems, one with a 66MHz bus and one with a 100MHz bus. If both systems have 4x AGP(1GB/sec+ theoritical max), then either way, there's no way a 100MHz bus(800MB/sec theoritical max) or 66MHz bus(~530MB/sec theoritical max) can saturate the 4x AGP bus.

Therefore, the addition of 8x AGP to either of these systems would result with a negligible variance in performance.

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Codename ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 12
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Can a 133MHz bus saturate a 4xAGP?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Bodhi:

<strong>Can a 133MHz bus saturate a 4xAGP?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Theoritically, but in the realworld, unlikely. They both have the same theoritical maximum of throughput.

I forgot to mention that some negligible latency advantages to a faster AGP bus.

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Codename ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 12
    robbyrobby Posts: 108member
    i dont know if 8x agp has been finalised yet.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 7 of 12
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    [quote]Originally posted by Robby:

<strong>i dont know if 8x agp has been finalised yet.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I believe that the new nVidia motherboards feature 8x AGP.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I think I'll start worring about 8X AGP when a 2X AGP is satureated.

much less 4X.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    razzfazzrazzfazz Posts: 728member
    [quote]Originally posted by Telomar:

<strong>I would be surprised if we saw an 8x AGP slot before MWNY and more likely we won't see it until MWSF next year or later.

As for the rest ask someone else

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Telomar ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Especially since

a) There are exactly zero cards available that can take advantage of it, and

b) AGP 8x isn't even specified yet AFAIK (BTW, does "octo-pumping" even exist at all?)

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 10 of 12
    razzfazzrazzfazz Posts: 728member
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>

I believe that the new nVidia motherboards feature 8x AGP.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The integrated graphics core on the nForce is connected to the north bridge part of the IGP chip by means of what nVidia refer to as "internal AGP 8x". However, this is just due to the fact that Northbridge and graphics core live on the same physical chip, and thus have a non-standard but damn quick intercannection.

The external AGP slot that's also featured on nForce bords is a standard AGP 4x slot.

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 11 of 12
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    What is the bit-width of an AGP bus anyway?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I have a feeling that we may see an update to Quicksilver tomorrow (1Ghz G4s maybe in dual config) but all the other specs will be the same (motherboard). then they will update various things like ram, hd, and graphic card.

I think the big update may come at the WWDC or a special event in April/May with a new motherboard and the g5.

that is if the G5 doesn't come out tomorrow