Powermac 970 on June 28th?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hey folks,

The biggest Mac store in Toronto has a special deal on powermacs right now that ends on June 28th. Very similar to the old Apple screen deals, but I can't find an Apple equivalent right now...

Quote:

Save $600 instantly on G4 PowerMacs at CPUsed.

Right now until June 28 you can instantly save $600 when you purchase a new PowerMac G4 together with the 20" Apple Cinema Display and the AppleCare Protection Plan. Or save $500 instantly if you purchase the PowerMac, AppleCare and the 17" Studio Display. What's even better is that the AppleCare Protection Plan covers both the computer and the display for three full years, guaranteeing you top-shelf service from Apple qualified technicians anywhere in the country. Now that's thinking outside the box!

Do they know something for sure that we don't?

http://www.cpused.com

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Mactivist

Hey folks,

The biggest Mac store in Toronto has a special deal on powermacs right now that ends on June 28th. Very similar to the old Apple screen deals, but I can't find an Apple equivalent right now...

Do they know something for sure that we don't?

http://www.cpused.com

seems like an educated guess to me...and there happens to be a thread called that.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    28th? why would it be 28th? 27th would make more sense, though michigan ave opening will probably be enough for that day.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    Maybe Apple is just making up for the weak dollar and is offering a sale price rather than a permanent reduction in the price. Someone was complaining that the Macs were alot more expensive in Canada because of the exchange rate.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kurt

Maybe Apple is just making up for the weak dollar and is offering a sale price rather than a permanent reduction in the price. Someone was complaining that the Macs were alot more expensive in Canada because of the exchange rate.

Actually, the Canadian dollar is higher right now than it has been in ten years, thanks to the weak yanky. But, that could change soon...

And Macs aren't normally more expensive in Canada - the price at the Apple store is pretty much the exact same price in Canadian dollars. It's hard to find good deals on systems, but that's true in the States too. Something about Apple price-fixing. Gee, I thought that was illegal...
  • Reply 5 of 9
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Mactivist

Actually, the Canadian dollar is higher right now than it has been in ten years, thanks to the weak yanky. But, that could change soon...

And Macs aren't normally more expensive in Canada - the price at the Apple store is pretty much the exact same price in Canadian dollars. It's hard to find good deals on systems, but that's true in the States too. Something about Apple price-fixing. Gee, I thought that was illegal...

They don't price fix, they just don't sell wholesale very cheap so no one can afford to drop prices and make a profit. CompUSA makes less then $1 on each LCD they sell. So, that's why you won't see $100 sales on Apple products. If they did, the resellers would be loosing money.

What's illegal about selling your product at the price you see fit?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

They don't price fix, they just don't sell wholesale very cheap so no one can afford to drop prices and make a profit. CompUSA makes less then $1 on each LCD they sell. So, that's why you won't see $100 sales on Apple products. If they did, the resellers would be loosing money.

What's illegal about selling your product at the price you see fit?

Well, sure, but when you have a monopoly on a product, forcing your competitors to maintain the same prices across the board is, in some respects, acting like a trust. Gas stations, CD music manufacturers - they both do it and have been sued for it. Actually, Apple was sued for this very thing in Japan.

I guess my only point here is that it would be nice if there were some competition in prices for Macs. It would make things cheaper for us, which is good. I'm still willing to pay $4200 CDN (plus 15 percent tax) for a top of the line powermac (provided it's a dual 970), but I still think it's an awefully high markup.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

CompUSA makes less then $1 on each LCD they sell. So, that's why you won't see $100 sales on Apple products. If they did, the resellers would be loosing money.

I agree that resellers don't make a killing on Apple products, but less than $1? You just set off my bullshit detector, buddy.

The lowest margins are on the low priced items...I remember that when the iMacs were priced at $699 resellers complained because their margins were so low. Currently the eMacs would have the smalllest margins for resellers. In any case, even the smallest margins are more than "less than $1", and on Apple's overpriced LCDs you can bet resellers make a tidy amount of profit.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

I agree that resellers don't make a killing on Apple products, but less than $1? You just set off my bullshit detector, buddy.

The lowest margins are on the low priced items...I remember that when the iMacs were priced at $699 resellers complained because their margins were so low. Currently the eMacs would have the smalllest margins for resellers. In any case, even the smallest margins are more than "less than $1", and on Apple's overpriced LCDs you can bet resellers make a tidy amount of profit.

I guess you need to trade in your bullshit detector then. That's straight from CompUSA's store manager's mouth. They offer discounts on most products except mac because of the small profit margin. He said it was like .90¢ or something that I can't quote so I rounded off to less then a buck for the 23" display I bought there.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    *sigh*

...another 970 thread...