Explosion at Yale Law School

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Link

Local report is saying it is a bomb in the mail room. There are conflicting reports.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Another unibomber? I think the scenario of an individual or small disgruntled group is more likely than any terrorist organization's scheme.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Another unibomber? I think the scenario of an individual or small disgruntled group is more likely than any terrorist organization's scheme.

I'd have to agree.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Osama is like the Terminator where he is going back in time to kill Shrubbery back when he was at Yale before he came to power. However, the tragic flaw in Osama's plan is that he relied on the post office but unfortunately they took 37 years to deliver his package.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    It was in an empty classroom, not the mail room. A Yale representative was quoted as saying that.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    That sucks, my girlfriend's brother and sister go there, and her brother graduates this weekend. He hasn't said much, just that there was an explosion, they're not saying all that much to the students, I think they're going to address them tomorrow or something.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    This is an old building - well-maintained but old - and apparently there are a lot of steam pipes. They described the explosion as resulting from a "device" and that a wall in the alumni lounge had collapsed. Perhaps the collapse of that wall was a result of a pipe rupturing.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    i was actually there a few months ago... the alumni hall's walls are just wood, no reinforcement...

it still is a good thing that the classes arent in session...

(oh. and it would suprise me if it actually weren't the mail room since that is across the street...)
  • Reply 8 of 11
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    "Just wood".

3 inch thick oak, actually.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

"Just wood".

3 inch thick oak, actually.

but still no reinforcements...
  • Reply 10 of 11
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    What'cha mean by reinforcements? What you see in the rooms are the finishes. Who knows what's behind the wood: pipes, steel studs, stone, plaster, drywall, etc.?

It was not a mail room, it was a classroom according to the police.

A lot of these "old" collegiate gothic buldings aren't really that old, they just are made to look like it. There are plenty of stone collegiate gothic buildings that are really steel frame buildings, it's just that they built them with 2' thick stone off the structure anyway. In any case, there's no structural damage to the building,but if we knew more about the structure we would know more about how the services are laid out too. There were early reports of students seeing a fireball in a hallway briefly, but obviously take that with a grain of salt.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zaphod_beeblebrox

This is an old building - well-maintained but old - and apparently there are a lot of steam pipes. They described the explosion as resulting from a "device" and that a wall in the alumni lounge had collapsed. Perhaps the collapse of that wall was a result of a pipe rupturing.

They just finished renovating the whole law school a year or two ago. I'd be very surprised if it was a mechanical failure. I don't think ruptured steam pipes "explode" anyway, at least not in the way people have described this blast. Weird, though - whoever set it picked an empty classroom, just before (but not during) commencement. It was almost guaranteed not to hurt anyone. I wonder if it was some, erm, campus "interest group" trying to "bring terrorism home" - but they miscalculated how much pop their little firecracker would have. One such group (whose cause shall remain nameless) made local headlines a few months back for dressing up as soldiers and setting up "checkpoints" at campus gates, trying to frisk and detain people against their will. Didn't go over so well.

Aside: From what the Yale rep was describing (go in the Wall St entrance, a few doors down on your right), I sat in that very room a few years back. I think it was for a talk on nuclear proliferation by some visiting faculty.