img files

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have img files on CDs I wrote when using OS 9.

In OS X I can't mount these files, no matter what I do. I get errors with every program I try. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I know of two applications that will/should open an img file under OSX. One is Disk Copy (lodged in your Utilities folder). You probably tried that, but if you haven't, that should be your first choice.

The other is Toast (I think Titanium is paramount). If you have it: click the other tab, keep it pressed a little bit and choose 'disc image', then drop the annoying img on it, and click mount. I have found that Toast will generally mount more (and more troublesome images) then Disk Copy will.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Thanks, but neither work.

"not in a supported format"...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    If the .img file was created by Aladdin Systems' program "ShrinkWrap" (which I suspect given the .img name) then you are out of luck. It is a proprietary disk image format and Aladdin does not have any plans for supporting it on Mac OS X.

Your best course of action would be to reboot into Mac OS 9, convert the images to dmg, and re-burn them to CDs.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    retrograderetrograde Posts: 503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

If the .img file was created by Aladdin Systems' program "ShrinkWrap" (which I suspect given the .img name) then you are out of luck. It is a proprietary disk image format and Aladdin does not have any plans for supporting it on Mac OS X.

Your best course of action would be to reboot into Mac OS 9, convert the images to dmg, and re-burn them to CDs.

Hope this helps.

Thanks this really will help I have an img file here that has been giving me the same headaches as unremarkable. Quite confusing though as the system seems to recognise it and gives it a proper icon... but no dice.

*hurries to Startup Disk panel in System Preferences*