ftp on mac os x server adds .bin extension

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Just currious, Im running os x server, and I have an ftp server on it. Works great but the problem is when i dupm certain files in some of the users folders, like photoshop(psd) for example, it adds a .bin extension at the end. Some pc users that use my ftp server said that they can't open the files in photoshop cause of the extension.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 7
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    My only guess is that it's encoding the file in MacBinary so the resource fork and metadata are preserved upon transit. I'm not sure why this would happen, though. If that is the case, the bin file can be opened via Stuffit Expander to give you (or the other person) the original file.



    Hopefully someone with more experience on Mac OS X Server will chime in.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Well thanks anyways, I hope someone else replies. It works great if the people downloading have a mac but not a pc. When the mac grabs the file it automatically sees what type of file it is. I also tried to grab it with different ftp programs on the PC thinking it might have been the ftp client software, but they all do it.



    Oh Well.....
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jlljll Posts: 2,709member
    The FTP server in Mac OS X Server has an automatic MacBinary-encoding feature.



    To turn it off add:



    influence_listings no



    to the end of /Library/FTPServer/Configuration/ftpaccess
  • Reply 4 of 7
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by JLL

    The FTP server in Mac OS X Server has an automatic MacBinary-encoding feature.



    To turn it off add:



    influence_listings no



    to the end of /Library/FTPServer/Configuration/ftpaccess








    Are you saying that my line in the library folder should show:



    /Library/FTPserver/Configuration/ftpaccess/influence_listings no



    I am not too familiar with the unix coding etc...



    And I also am not too familiar with the terminal. Do I have to do this through the terminal or can I do it directly in the library folder?



    Thanks again though you solved alot of problems, I will try it out hopping that I undersdtood you correctly.

    Thanks
  • Reply 5 of 7
    jlljll Posts: 2,709member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by dage007

    Are you saying that my line in the library folder should show:



    /Library/FTPserver/Configuration/ftpaccess/influence_listings no



    I am not too familiar with the unix coding etc...



    And I also am not too familiar with the terminal. Do I have to do this through the terminal or can I do it directly in the library folder?



    Thanks again though you solved alot of problems, I will try it out hopping that I undersdtood you correctly.

    Thanks




    No, you have to add the line to the ftpaccess file.



    Open Terminal and type:



    cd /Library/Configuration



    Press return



    Type:



    sudo pico ftpaccess



    Press return and enter your admin password (it will ask you to do that)



    The ftpaccess file is now opened in the pico text editor.



    Scroll down to the bottom of the document using the arrow keys and type:



    influence_listings no



    on a blank line.



    Press CTRL-O to save and CTRL-X to exit pico.



    You should probably restart your FTP server after this.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by JLL

    No, you have to add the line to the ftpaccess file.



    Open Terminal and type:



    cd /Library/Configuration



    Press return



    Type:



    sudo pico ftpaccess



    Press return and enter your admin password (it will ask you to do that)



    The ftpaccess file is now opened in the pico text editor.



    Scroll down to the bottom of the document using the arrow keys and type:



    influence_listings no



    on a blank line.



    Press CTRL-O to save and CTRL-X to exit pico.



    You should probably restart your FTP server after this.






    Worked like a charm. Thanks alot. I actually loged in as the root and edited the file in the text editor.



    Thanks again much appreciated
  • Reply 7 of 7
    jlljll Posts: 2,709member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by dage007

    Worked like a charm. Thanks alot. I actually loged in as the root and edited the file in the text editor.



    Thanks again much appreciated




    You're welcome.
Sign In or Register to comment.