Safari for Windows

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
According to a French site, Apple may be porting Safari to Windows. Will/Should this happen? Does this have anything to with iTunes for Windows? My technical understanding is nil, but I thought iTMS relied on alot of Safari's code so could it be a neccesity for Apple to port both over? I can't imagine the average Windows user using an Apple borwser seeing as most don't bother using anything other than the preinstalled IE.

Edit: I saw this posted on macrumors.com-the originating site is macplus.org.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    iTMS does not use Safari or WebCore.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    JLL is correct. iTunes uses neither Safari nor WebCore. iTMS uses XML, not HTML.

That said, there is absolutely no incentive for Apple to enter the browser competition on the PC. The reason Apple made Safari was because there was no good *fast* browser for Mac OS X. This is not the case with Windows.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

That said, there is absolutely no incentive for Apple to enter the browser competition on the PC. The reason Apple made Safari was because there was no good *fast* browser for Mac OS X. This is not the case with Windows.

And even if it were, why should Apple care? They don't gain a lick of money off their browser directly. They only gain indirect money (through the possible sale of the OS). So, Apple's goal should be to make the windows experience WORSE not better (see their QT on Windows strategy )
  • Reply 4 of 13
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Perhaps Apple could distribute a "Trojan Horse" build of Safari for Windows. After installation, a hidden part of it lies dormant for a specified number of reboots/system crashes. After waking, this module begins to disassemble Windows, starting by corrupting the system registry. Gradually, over many weeks, Windows will become so unstable that the poor bastard running it must do a clean install. 3 days later, the user finishes the clean install, installs Safari again, and the process repeats ad infinitum, with the goal of driving the hapless user either to buy a Mac or to go insane.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Perhaps Apple could distribute a "Trojan Horse" build of Safari for Windows. After installation, a hidden part of it lies dormant for a specified number of reboots/system crashes. After waking, this module begins to disassemble Windows, starting by corrupting the system registry. Gradually, over many weeks, Windows will become so unstable that the poor bastard running it must do a clean install. 3 days later, the user finishes the clean install, installs Safari again, and the process repeats ad infinitum, with the goal of driving the hapless user either to buy a Mac or to go insane.

What are you talking about? No external programs are necessary for this to happen..... Windows already does it itself!
  • Reply 6 of 13
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i think aladdin made a virus many years back, which attacked competitors' products (on max, that is). i remember reading about it and thinking it was kind of funny.

apple couldn't do that, cause there's probably some kind of anti-competitive law against it.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    retrograderetrograde Posts: 503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

... cause there's probably some kind of anti-competitive law against it.

"Probably"?!
  • Reply 8 of 13
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

i think aladdin made a virus many years back, which attacked competitors' products (on max, that is).

Are you being serious ???
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Apple port Safari and/or iTunes to Windows!? YEAH RIGhT! My @$$ they will! heh. I don't think it's gonna happen. MS wouldn't allow it. True... MS owns some shares of Apple but I don't think that'll make a difference. If you think Safari occasionally crashes on our OS X then watch how many times it'll crash on W1nd0ws. Same with iTunes. These apps are made for Aqua. They wouldn't have the same effect on the crap WIndows UI. When I first read the title of this thread I thought someone was requesting a Windows version of Safari. lol... Lemme say this.... I bet if they were to port these to Linux they would work great. Linux is more suited for these kind of apps...
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

Apple port Safari and/or iTunes to Windows!? YEAH RIGhT! My @$$ they will!

Before you get all zealous, perhaps you should do a little research. Steve himself said iTMS would be available for Windows by year end. Then there's this job posting by Apple:
    Quote:

Apple Computer is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to design and build one of our newest Consumer Applications, iTunes for Windows.

But that's off-topic, really. iTunes could work fine for Windows provided they get it working as well with the iPod as the Mac version. Safari, on the other hand, would have little audience as the browser market is not only saturated but also the browsers perform much better on Windows thus negating the need for Safari that Mac users have.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    It doesn't sound very likely, but I could see it happening, from a strategic viewpoint.

The two reasons I could see a Windows version of Safari: (1) a move to build attention and mindshare for Apple, and (2) a test to see what kind of demand among Windows consumer for an alternative to Microsoft software.

It would have to be pretty outrageously fast and good to even begin to wean people away from Explorer, though. Especially as I imagine the next version of IE for Windows will have pop-up ad blocking and tabbed browsing. Why it doesn't have the former already is totally beyond me.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

It doesn't sound very likely, but I could see it happening, from a strategic viewpoint.

The two reasons I could see a Windows version of Safari: (1) a move to build attention and mindshare for Apple, and (2) a test to see what kind of demand among Windows consumer for an alternative to Microsoft software.

It would have to be pretty outrageously fast and good to even begin to wean people away from Explorer, though. Especially as I imagine the next version of IE for Windows will have pop-up ad blocking and tabbed browsing. Why it doesn't have the former already is totally beyond me.

heh... I know why MS hasnt added tabbed browsing etc... because.. THEY'RE LAZY BASTARDS! heh. and stupid too... I don't see why they don't take the example from browsers like Opera etc.....
  • Reply 13 of 13
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

LMAO - I think it should go one step further and give PC users a chance to experience a real OS by replacing all of the Windows system files with Marklar!!!