Odd SCSI woes in Jaguar

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello, I'm running 10.2.5 Jaguar on an old Powermac 9500 with Xpostfacto. Although slow, it works like a charm (Powerlogix G3-400 card doesn't hurt either).

Anyway, I got an old external SCSI CD-ROM to hook up to it (think it was originally connected to an SGI machine). I don't have an normal SCSI CD-ROM because the it was removed to make room for the bootup disk, a full-height SCSI drive.

The drive doesn't work at all in OS 9. It won't mount anything in OS X. But the drive shows up in OS X Apple System Profiler, and the name of the CD-ROM housed in the drive is mentioned in the list of devices when I boot up.

Is there anything weird that I'm neglecting? The drive is actively terminated.

The same weird error that I described happens whether I hook the CD-ROM drive up to a PCI SCSI card or the 9500's own built-in SCSI.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Presume no termination conflicts.

Where are you storing the drivers ?

( you don't mention the model )

Check to see if there is a conflict or the need for a driver patch..

I am only guessing, but that's the sort of things I'd check to get over the problem...

Ps Have you used SCSIProbe yet ( Robert Polik ) ?

I had a Beige power mac with a dead SCSI & didn't know it until I checked with SCSIProbe.

you can download a free copy from

http://www.pure-mac.com

Go to Diagnostics section...

Good luck\
  • Reply 2 of 3
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    are you sure the drive works? could be broken...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    I traded CD-ROMs with one of my friends and got an old 4x external that seems to work better. Thanks for your suggestions.