what speakers to get for ipod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I saw the great topic about using the iPod as a stereo, but didn't see anybody mention what type of speakers to get. Will the minijack harmon kardons apple pro spekers work well with the ipod? We are going camping this weekend and I would love to be able to play our music (quietly:0) while we settle in our camp site. I don't need anything fancy, but would love something that sounds decent for under $50.00.

I also remember back in the days of the Song Walkman, they had a place to put two jacks for headphones allowing two people to listen. Is that an ipod possiblity?

Jessica

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Pro speakers do not have a standard minijack, they have a different connector which is meant to be plugged into an 18W speaker amplifier inside a powermac or imac.

Search the forums, there are many threads on speakers. You won't be able to get speakers that do not plug into some source of electricity (if this is what you thought with the pro speakers; ipod only has a 30milliWatt output, you need at least a full watt to drive speakers to listenable volumes).
  • Reply 2 of 5
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Check out these sony speakers, they run of both batteries or an AC powersupply.

There's lots of speakers to choose from if you don't need the battery thingy.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Check out the Kodel SI-5's, these are supposed to be very good. Here's a link to a site that sells them:

http://www.999giftideas.co.uk/MP3-&-...t-speakers.htm

I think they clip together and occupy the same amount of space as a double CD case.

I use a 17 year old pair of Wharfedale Active Diamonds with my IPod. Classic vintage British loudspeaker, very difficult to find these days in active form (far more 'normal' passive models were sold). Were very ahead of their time in the mid-80's.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    i've been really happy with anything from logitech.the bass tends to sound richer and cleaner than many others i have heard..u can sometimes demo them at staples stores
  • Reply 5 of 5
    chic4macchic4mac Posts: 99member
    thanks everyone. I am on it now!