11b better on 11g extreme system???

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I found this on Mac Central and i'm confused..how is a 11b laptop better on the 11g airport i thought the performance would be the same, the 11b would perform the same whether on b or g.

"If you own an 802.11g Base Station and plan to allow 802.11b devices on your network, the changes in the final specification will actually be BETTER for you, according to Apple.

"The only change of any substance is that options were put in place so that if you want to allow legacy 'b' clients on your network, they will co-exist better with 'g' clients," said Bell. "In fact, your throughput is probably better and smoother now than what it was before. There is absolutely no difference in the data rate -- it is still 54Mbit/sec."

So should i upgrade, my future broadband is no more than 1.5mps so how would it be better for 11b users...i really don't need to upgrade or what????

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    The draft specification meant that if you had a b/g mixed environment, the network slowed down for g users, basically so there was no difference in speed between b and g.

The final specificiation means that in a b/g mixed environment, g runs much faster than b.

Don't believe the FUD about 802.11g. It's faster. 4-5 times faster. It won't make a difference with a 1.5Mb/s 'net connex, but it will make a big difference when sending data over the local network (eg, between computers in your home).

Barto