My new PB doesn't reboot from install disk!!!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Because I have to reboot from my install disk to bypass the unknown password in my new PB I tried it by holding down 'C' whilst restarting but this doesn't work... No restart and I'm forced to do a shut down & restart again (from HD).

After trying the 'C' I used several commands like alt, shift, apple, command... no luck...

What to do to get it to reboot succesfully from my installation disk?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    this is very odd.... what kind of install disk are you trying to use? (what os, etc)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mac-cabermac-caber Posts: 11member
    Very latest one.. OS10.2 Jaguar.... Just got the brand new PBook last Saturday from Apple but something must be wrong because when I started the machine up it immediately prompted for a password. Now, no-one in that shop has even entered a password. So we can't log on the computer at the moment.

Then some people recommended re-booting from the original install disk (which came with the PBook). So I did that (holding down 'C' whilst restarting) and although you can hear the drive working for the first 10 seconds or so the screen stays gray with the Apple logo in the centre and it NEVER goes to a complete restart. In the end I had to swich it of and start up again - which brings me again to the password....

The shop is closed for the rest of the week (they're on Honeymoon I believe ) but most people tell me it should go back to the shop...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    cyclecycle Posts: 187member
    boot from internal hd into system and select your internal hd in startup-disk controlpanel

c-booting should work then
  • Reply 4 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    sounds like there is a firmware password... try resetting the firmware
  • Reply 5 of 6
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Holding down the option key while booting should let you choose the boot device.

Dobby.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Thx for the replies. Fotunately I got hold of an Apple technician and he was able to re-install the operating system from a special disk. Everything OK now!