iTMS: Some albms not $9.99?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Not that I can buy songs right now, but I noticed that Martin L. Gore's recently released Counterfeit2 album is $10.89, for 11 tracks. Are some albums not available at the $9.99 price point? And for 11 tracks!? This is stupid.

Mute has really pissed me off this time. I went to the local HMV to look for this album and was FURIOUS to find that it has the EMI copy control system, which means it won't work at all on my iPod (without jumping through hoops and serious sound degradation).

F%ck them. F&ck EMI. F$ck Mute.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Heh, I've seen several albums for over $100. And some are $6. It's never been "all albums $9.99."
  • Reply 2 of 15
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Heh, I've seen several albums for over $100. And some are $6. It's never been "all albums $9.99."

$100!? One-zero-zero? Bloody hell! Whose albums are these?

Screed
  • Reply 3 of 15
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

$100!? One-zero-zero? Bloody hell! Whose albums are these?

Screed

there's some box sets and rather large blues, jazz, etc. collections on there that number more than 100 songs... i wouldn't really call them "albums"
  • Reply 4 of 15
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    haha...i assumed he meant $10
  • Reply 5 of 15
    almost all of Prince's CDs are less than $9.99
  • Reply 6 of 15
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Gee, I wonder why.

• Reply 7 of 15
    I was just trying to find a certain song...never did figure out what album "Pussy Control" is on
  • Reply 8 of 15
    [tonton]

What do you mean "jumping through serious hoops?" Please explain.

-tommy
  • Reply 9 of 15
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I've noticed several albums I've been interested in were under $8. Works for me.

They really do need to work on the selection, and on getting the little guys on board. iTMS still misses more of my queries than it hits. Although, I don't really know how eager Dischord is to sign on.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    We will probably see lower prices from the iTMS as Real has recently annouced .79 cents per song.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    thunderpoitthunderpoit Posts: 709member
    what ive been seeing is 9.99 for an album unless it is less than 10 tracks, in which case they bill you per song
  • Reply 12 of 15
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

We will probably see lower prices from the iTMS as Real has recently annouced .79 cents per song.

Probably not.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

actually, no. the Real 79 cent track is in no way equivalent to a 99 cent ITMS track.

1) it is not downloaded to your computer.

2) you can not listen to it on ANY mobile devices.

3) the 79 cents in the BURN-TO-CD fee. you pay this EVERY TIME you want to burn a track to CD.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I noticed that Blue Train by John Coltrane used to be $5 (5 tracks, about 8-10 minutes each), but when I looked again yesterday, it was up to $9.99. Also, there was a Bill Evans collection with several hundred tracks that was something like $150, but it's gone from store now.
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

actually, no. the Real 79 cent track is in no way equivalent to a 99 cent ITMS track.

1) it is not downloaded to your computer.

2) you can not listen to it on ANY mobile devices.

3) the 79 cents in the BURN-TO-CD fee. you pay this EVERY TIME you want to burn a track to CD.

Wow, that's interesting.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    yeah, the iTMS is growing and evolving...they will figure some things out...there are some albums that are only 2 songs (one song on each side)....i was able to buy a 30 minute song for 99 cents...i am sure they will correct some things like this...but there will be bargains always if you shop well...some double albums are only 9.99....

i am still hoping and pushing for out of print music...make it a separate section at the iTMS...i bet it would get lots of hits and purchases

and an import section too

the store is growing, it will be fun to watch how it does

g