OS 9, should I keep it???

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
It's been suggested to me that I should dump OS 9. Other than freeing up HD space what advantages would that give me? I have already dumped a few duplicate programs in the 9 enviro, like iTunes, etc...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

It's been suggested to me that I should dump OS 9. Other than freeing up HD space what advantages would that give me? I have already dumped a few duplicate programs in the 9 enviro, like iTunes, etc...

It depends.

Are you running OS-9 native or as "classic" under an OS-X hood.?

Personally, I have OS-X 10.2.5, but have returned to OS-9.2 as it works flawlessly compared to OS-X.

Especially true in the Imaging/ graphics area..

So until OS-X becomes bug free..OS-9 is perfect for me.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    I'm running Classic. The thing is also most of my programs are OS X. I think I have 1 program I'm using in Classic, that was only to do some pic editing while I wait for PhotoShop. But now that I have PS I don't need that app any more. The only other app I think I use is the scan driver, until I can get online at the homestead to update to the latest drivers rather than use the disc that came packed with it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    How much space do you have? The System Folder only takes 125 megs or so. If you have the space keep it because you never know if you'll need a Classic program! For example, I keep it for some useful things like DeLorme StreetAtlas 6 (they dropped Mac and it shows me street while Route 66 doesn't). The graphing calculator they included is also kind of nice and I wonder what happened to that. SoundEdit and Soundapp are two other things that maybe will never come to OS X. I also have a weid obsession with classic games like Spin Doctor, Spectre, Simant etc, Dome Wars (the latest version won't run in classic!) Super Maze Wars, Barrack, and others!

Other than that it sits there waiting for you. It doesn't do anything besides take up some space. If you want space I suggest running some utilities like Where Did my Disk Space Go? IIRC and Duplicate Catcher.