iMovie ten minute import limit?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is it normal for iMovie to break all imports into ten minute segments? Specifically, any continuous import I bring in is broken into segments that are 9 minutes, 59 seconds, and 29 frames.

I'm using iMovie 2 (too many audio issues with 3), and importing continuous video streams, not stop-and-start clips.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    If you just put the 10 minute clips that were split from each other together in the timeline, you won't notice the split when you play it back.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    tekritertekriter Posts: 44member
    You're right, and I do that, but I wondered if there was a way to get iMovie to import as one clip rather than several.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    It's not a time issue, it's a filesize issue. If you look, all those (almost) 10 minute files are 2GB. They split the files to maintain compatibility with file systems that have a 2GB limit.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    tekritertekriter Posts: 44member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

It's not a time issue, it's a filesize issue. If you look, all those (almost) 10 minute files are 2GB. They split the files to maintain compatibility with file systems that have a 2GB limit.

OK, that makes sense. I didn't think of it that way.

Thanks!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Final Cut Pro can import larger movies, but I found that most often the audio doesn't line up with the video. The longer the movie, the more the difference. It's probably just my computer, but I prefer to import in small segments using iMovie then transfer to FCP.