SJ: No Apple PDA or "iPhone"

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
As many of us on this forum have said in the past, Apple is not getting into the phone business and doesn't plan on getting into the PDA business (as they have consistently stated) although rumors have continued to surface. Here's a brief report about "The Digtal All Things Conference" speech that SJ made .

News From Today's Steve Jobs Interview in Carlsbad

Thursday, May 29, 2003

Apple Fan

No PDA in Apple's future -- their research is that people primarily want a small device which has copies of data already on their computer, make occassional small changes. He thinks iPod serves many of those people, and the new generations of cell phones will suit most of the rest. Apple is working with the phone manufacturers to be sure the data syncs.

No Apple brand cell phone. He thinks existing phone makers are too good, Apple can't add enough value.

Not much of a market for watching movies or showing photos on iPods or other small devices. Screen too small until someone invents a great folding screen. However he does see potential to use small device to drive a TV as the presentation vehicle.

Major push with iTunes and music. 3 million purchased so far, half the tracks sold as albums. More being loaded all the time onto the servers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,431member
    I didn't need to hear this. It's blatantly obvious that Apple is not interested in PDA as they are currently being made. Nor Cell phones.

That doesn't mean they won't support them but it's too risky to attempt to "control the whole widget" here.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Not much of a market for watching movies or showing photos on iPods or other small devices. Screen too small until someone invents a great folding screen. However he does see potential to use small device to drive a TV as the presentation vehicle.

This part makes me think that Apple might add this capability to the new iPods. Surely they would not market a separate device just for use as a presentation device. Perhaps another reason for the new custom port on the bottom?
  • Reply 3 of 28
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    Steve jobs: the crusher of hopes and dreams

It's intresting that he comments on stuff like this, i wonder what his reasoning is for confirming that certain products arent gonna happen, given apples secrecy about everything in general.

As for the other device, just cuz it said "drive a TV as the presentation vehicle." doesnt neccessarly mean it's for keynote presentations, tv is just the vehicle that this device would work with... say hd recorder/dvd burner.........with a gamecube in it to match sonys comming PSX.

On a side note i hadn't seen any music store ads on tv till last night, I had a&e on for a few hours and saw 4 ads, 3 different ones with one repeating, at least those girls can sing good.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

Steve jobs: the crusher of hopes and dreams

It's intresting that he comments on stuff like this, i wonder what his reasoning is for confirming that certain products arent gonna happen, given apples secrecy about everything in general.

Maybe he's just trying to spare people from being let down every freakin time Apple has a Stevenote or special event.

But I wonder i some sort of tablet mac would go into the PDA category??? I guess not. So this is some sort of "sneaky"-denying from Steve then "The new iPad, so much more than a PDA".
  • Reply 5 of 28
    willywalloowillywalloo Posts: 408member
    It's good to finally have confirmation on this route, the route I saw was one without these devices in Apple's path, as I agree the other companies already have a good hold on the market. Cell Phones are generally a good product, they always work, and they work well...I'm not talking about reception, will that ever be fixed? NO.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    I don't think SJ comments rule out a tablet device.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    yea i can see him doing that, but "ipad"..... bad name if you know what i mean. unless they are tring to appeal to more women
  • Reply 8 of 28
    willywalloowillywalloo Posts: 408member
    I could see the iPad also, but that is for the next rumor monger.

It would be cool if it would exist...there was that blurb a while back about it...hmmm. I don't have anything to back up the 'iPad.'

DEW YEW ?!
  • Reply 9 of 28
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Most people who know me or have just seen how addicted I am to tablet threads are well aware of how I feel about an Apple branded tablet (lust comes to mind) but I'm sad to say Steve's comments about 'presentation via TV' doesn't exactly have me jumping up and down that it means a tablet... In fact, it seems to me that if anything it DISCOUNTS the idea of a tablet.

Why? Simple! Why have an expensive tablet (with touch screen LCD) if you're gonna be using a TV as the display?

That being said, a TV display system would be cool and I'm sure I could make use of it but it's far less elegant than what I picture if I had a tablet in my hand.

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 28
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

yea i can see him doing that, but "ipad"..... bad name if you know what i mean. unless they are tring to appeal to more women

But not if Panther features "piles."

I think Steve rules these categories out specifically because there is a vocal contingent of pundits (including, most recently, Stewart Alsop) calling for an iPhone/PDA/Thingy. If Steve's confident that Apple's not going to go there, he can answer the journalistic heavyweights asking for an iPhone in their columns.

The iPod is apparently Apple's general-purpose carry-stuff-around device, and it can be updated and revised as needed, so I imagine any further Apple products will be variations on full-fledged computers.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

But not if Panther features "piles."

ya soon they will need ishovel to clean your desktop :P

i think apple realizes to do what they would want to do would be too expensive for the consumer right now. You want apple to wow you right, well let them do there thing, its better than them coming out with a sub par devices that doesn't really do anything that special or change the way you do things. Really they can't afford the risk of a new product failing, they need to fix the ones they have first.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Plus, look at how much money MS has dumped into developing a cell phone OS with nothing to show for it. Most of the cell phone manufacturers that were going to base phones off of it have now backed out, and so MS has eaten those development costs big time. Apple would just get eaten up too.

While Apple would be making their own hardware, somehow I don't think they'd fare much better.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

think iPod meets TiVo version 3. my money's on it.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I still think Apple is trying to convince cell phone makers to agree to a standard port for an airport-like card that would be the guts of a phone. This could then be unplugged and put into any phone casing you like, or a portable computer, or any PDA, or whatever device that wants to be connected.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Well, guess this makes me even more certain I'll be picking up an Axim or a Tungsten C in the next month or so!
  • Reply 16 of 28
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Does Panther come with iPreparation H to sooth those piles it's got?
  • Reply 17 of 28
    stratosfearstratosfear Posts: 150member
    Apple should not make their own iPhone, because it could cost too much money for Apple. Nokia is now leader and then comes Motorla, Siemens, Sony-Ericsson etc... If you look how much money Microsoft has spend and they don't have any phones available. Right now there isn't any free space for new mobilephone company. Nokia and Motorla etc... are too strong competitors.

It's better for Apple that they work closely with mobilephone manufacturers making wireless standard and iSync better. We still need more standards / development for wireless world.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    The tablet has not been ruled out from what I read yesterday. I think they should add a flip arround screen, and some new features to PowerBook's, and iBook's. Why not? If you don't need the tablet part you just don't use it, but I imagine everyone will find a use for it anyway.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stratosfear

It's better for Apple that they work closely with mobilephone manufacturers making wireless standard and iSync better. We still need more standards / development for wireless world.

I agree, and I'm sure they're at it.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

I agree, and I'm sure they're at it.

Personally I am very surprised to hear that Apple has no plans for a mobile phone, although I agree that building one themselves would be madness.

I guess this means that the value they bring to the area of mobiles will be via .Mac and iSync.

Strange news.