c|net: Amazon vs. Apple for online music???

rokrok
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
posted by MacMinute:

Amazon 'likeliest candidate' to take on iTunes store

May 30 - 15:10 EDT

Analysts are expecting online retailer Amazon.com to be the most likely to launch a music service to compete with Apple's new iTunes Music Store, reports c|net. "As millions of songs figuratively fly off the shelves of Apple Computer's recently launched iTunes Music Store, analysts are looking at Amazon.com as one of the likeliest candidates to take the next crack at the retail music-download business. At a company shareholders meeting Wednesday, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos said the e-tailing giant has plans for new stores in the works. He declined to comment on whether those plans include a music-download store, telling the Reuters news service that the idea has been under consideration 'for years.'"

okay, here come the "analysts" again... correct me if i am wrong, but doesn't apple use amazon's own 1-click purchasing to do its mojo? what purpose would amazon serve to compete?

maybe c|net's just on crack... wouldn't be the first time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    plus it is not like all the songs are just encoded and waiting to go...i am sure apple will not let others use their AAC encoded songs....so whoever is next will have to re-encode the songs...if it is M$ and AOL i would expect them to go the MP3 route, amazon probably too...unless apple let amazon use their songs at a price...

iTMS didn't jump up overnight...anyone not already working on their own store long before iTMS was dropped on the public will have a long set up time to go (encode songs, set up deals with major labels, set up billing and collection, set up store front and whatnot...sure amazon has the billing anc collection, but does it have encoded songs and ok from the record companies and etc etc etc)...by the time M$/Aol and amazon have their stores running, apple will have iTunes for PC and will offer the better store, the better experience, better selection and a wonderful program (iTunes) to run it all from....

g
  • Reply 2 of 16
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

plus it is not like all the songs are just encoded and waiting to go...i am sure apple will not let others use their AAC encoded songs....so whoever is next will have to re-encode the songs...if it is M$ and AOL i would expect them to go the MP3 route, amazon probably too...unless apple let amazon use their songs at a price...

Actually, both Spamazon and AOL have recently signed agreements to use Windows Media. MP3 is completely out of the question.

Given that Spamazon has a wonderful pricing scheme that is low until you're a regular (they mine your purchasing record) at which point they figure you're hooked and goose the prices back up; and given that MS has committed to the worst-case DRM scenario, and Amazon just hooked up with them; I'm betting that their service dies hard, ridiculous "one-click" patent or no. At least their books don't come with DRM!

Apple's killer advantage here is not (entirely) technological, or even based on their legendary talent for UE: It's that they are actually willing to treat their customers as honest people. No amount of MS money is going to overcome that basic fact.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Ahhh the new topic of Du Jour for pundits.

How quickly they forget. Apple not only offers iTunes for playback but they have the iPod as well. I just think Apple has a compelling situation going and all the Johnny come lately companies cannot match the "user experience" of iTMS. We will see.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    That was my firsdt thought about who oculd really give iTMS some competition. However, could Amazon and Apple not also team up to provide a more complete download/CD purchase experience? Bring iTMS's integration and ease of use with Amazon's extensive user reviews, recommendations and other perks? I don't thgink they're inherent adversaries, rather I think they're actually complementary right now. They could be an 800 lbs. gorilla for music buying if they got together.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

That was my firsdt thought about who oculd really give iTMS some competition. However, could Amazon and Apple not also team up to provide a more complete download/CD purchase experience? Bring iTMS's integration and ease of use with Amazon's extensive user reviews, recommendations and other perks? I don't thgink they're inherent adversaries, rather I think they're actually complementary right now. They could be an 800 lbs. gorilla for music buying if they got together.

that was what i had assumed when all these rumors about the iTMS first started circulating. i mean, apple has already done all of the "heavy lifting," so why not leverage all that groundwork and music label negotiation, and just come in and offer more widespread appeal (especially when itunes goes out for windows) with little-to-no effort. plus, i gotta think audio books would also be a possibility (though i don't know if amazon even has access to any of those).
  • Reply 6 of 16
    I don't know about amazon and audio books either, but there's always Audible.com too.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Nyah, Nyah, I told you so (nevermind that this is a mere rumor)

http://nypost.com/business/135.htm
  • Reply 8 of 16
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Nyah, Nyah, I told you so (nevermind that this is a mere rumor)

http://nypost.com/business/135.htm

yes, it seems that c|net did have its collective head up its arse, as i suspected... (following quoted from macnn.com, as well as other sources)

Apple, Amazon working on music service deal

" The New York Post reports that Apple and Amazon.com are working on a deal that will make Apple's new iTunes music store available on Amazon: "The parties are in advanced talks and a deal is expected, though sources warn that negotiations might still unravel....Apple would gain a significant new distribution outlet for its fledgling but fast-growing music service. Amazon would be able to expand its offerings to digital music - something it has wanted to do for some time."
  • Reply 9 of 16
    soopadrivesoopadrive Posts: 182member
    Man, would that be sweet.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I think Amazon working with Apple would be unstoppable. Like them or not, Amazon is the leader in their field, and they are not stepping down anytime soon, They have a good rep, and they are always making ridiculous amounts of business, this could be one of the best things to happen to apple in a while.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I don't know how far I'd trust the NY Post. It's basically a tabloid.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Oh, I wouldn't trust them any farther than I can throw them. It's a rag, but anything to support my argument will do nicely.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    You all know that Apple licenses the "one click" ordering system from Amazon.com.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

You all know that Apple licenses the "one click" ordering system from Amazon.com.

Should I license my one-clicks on the Dock icons from Amazon.com too? I feel so dirty when I click things once now.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

I don't know how far I'd trust the NY Post. It's basically a tabloid.

Australians 0wn j00
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Should I license my one-clicks on the Dock icons from Amazon.com too? I feel so dirty when I click things once now.

They onnly care if it's linked to a credit card number.