Mary Jane and the Great White North

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I held off on mentioning this, cuz i figured someone else would. well, i can't hold it in any longer.

The Prime Minister of Canada, Jean Chretien, introduced legislation a couple of days ago proposing the decriminalization of small amounts of marijuana. If passed, posession of up to 15g will be punishable by up to $400 (Canadian) for adults and $250 for the youngins (note: canadian laws only apply to canada, and her colonies, not to the u.s. or other nearby sovereign nations). Stronger penalties are also included for growing ops and sales, particularly sales near schools. I believe that money is also to be allocated to education efforts to instruct the Canadian people on the health effects of cannabis.

So what's everyone's thoughts? Personally, I think its wonderful. Sure, it aint the legalization that we all () want, but they are now that much closer. Also, before all you narcs get out of hand, decrim isn't something revolutionary, and doesn't mean that tokers can get away with smoking anymore than before, and its not going to make Canada like the lovely Dutch coffeeshops; it just changes the penalty (for small amounts) to a ticket instead of a jail cell. Many states in the U.S. have already decriminalized.

And, since we haven't had a good discussion on the topic in a while, why don't we bring that back up too? What's everybody's most tired and favorite arguments against a person's right to alter their own body and consciousness through fun and interesting plant matter?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Everyone should be able to get it legally except hockey players. Cuz, how can you lift a puck into the net from the hash marks if you're stoned?