Hardware Implications of QT 6.3?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So the new increment of Quicktime adds support for 3GPP, which is the emerging dominant standard for rich media on portable devices.

Steve brags about the "scalability" of Mpeg 4, AAC etc. He indicates that video on the iPod isn't in the near future.

Meanwhile OLED screens seem to pave the way for the "folding" screens Steve said are a prerequisite to a portable video device.

So... assuming Steve wouldn't flippantly mention a product that is nearing rollout, does this mean he believes folding screens are a part of the future of portable devices, but one that is over the horizon?

This release of AT 6.3 seems to be another attempt by apple to lay the foundation for a future initiative. Just as iSync and Rendevous are preparing us for a world of walkabout networking, AAC and now QT 6.3 prepare us for ITMS and other future devices.

Is this simply Apple's attempt to get in line with the standards, or is it a way of pushing a standard (a la usb) that fits in well with its hardware roadmap? If there are other personal digital lifestyle devices coming, what capabilities does this technology give them? What do you think?

?Video Business Cards?

?Commercial-supported phone service?

(as in watch a 30 second advert before making a free 10-minute call)

?Video subscription services for mobile devices. (Think AvantGo plus Wall Street Week, or Headline News or Sportscenter)

?How about training or support video streamed or downloaded to your phone? You get on with tech support and they send you a video of the proper procedure.

I know these are software application, but I don't think the device exists today to fully support the range of applications that are possible. I can, however, see this being a key enabling technology for a mini-tablet/iWalk/maXPod/ etc...

What say you?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Well, following the description....

Quote:

QuickTime 6.3 enables users to share high-quality video, audio and text on a new generation of wireless devices including cell phones and PDAs.

...I'd say the hardware implication is cell phones and PDAs.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    If your trying to say video on ipod or apple cell phone or something like that then the answer is no. Steve jobs was pretty clear on that in his interview with WSJ the otherday

like kidred said its for cell phones and pda's not much to read into it.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    This can just be a big step forward in the Digital Hub, another reason to get a Mac if you're a gadget monster.

I don't think KidRed was talking about Apple hardware...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    i'm thinking we might also need this new quicktime to use iChat 2.0 and it's video conferencing abilities when it is previewed with panther...it would be sweet if they show panther at WWDC and say, and for everyone iChat 2.0 is released today....they could give it as a free download or do a realaudio trick of making it work for 2 months and then you have to either get panther or revert to iChat 1.0

g
  • Reply 5 of 5
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    This is more about pushing QTSS as the wireless multimedia content server of choice. (Say that five times fast). Remeber Schiller was demonstrating QT content streamed to a Sony-Ericsson phone a couple of Quicktime Live! back.

Screed