iSight Camera...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    david mdavid m Posts: 32member
    Some things I haven't seen mentioned:

A camera with GPS and a compass. Nothing fancy, I don't mean something you'd use for navigation--or even see on the camera's interface--just two additions to the metadata: location and direction the camera is pointing. Even basic N, NW, S type info would be useful.

An OT thing: an iPod with a radio transmitter. Say 3-5 watts. Suddenly, an iPod could "connect" with any car stereo without wires or mess. Suddenly you could share tunes with your buddies at the gym without imposing on everyone else. The point isn't to take over the city, just the immediate environment around the pod.
  • Reply 42 of 66
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    This rumor just set off my BS detector.

1. Integrated Webcam: No way. This is not an option that everyone needs, and it's too expensive to justify adding it to Macs. Why add $50 to the cost of already overpriced hardware to add something that not everyone wants? A microphone is dirt cheap so it makes sense, a video camera doesn't. Think Airport--an option probably more desirable than a webcam, and probably cheaper to add (a few chips to the mobo?), but Apple doesn't offer it built-in.

2. Webcam: What for? There's already a hundred webcams on the market. So Apple's would have a cool case....so what?

3. Camera: With HD or not, there are already so many excellent camera designs on the market that Apple wouldn't be able to add anything new beyond a nifty case. Too many companys have decades of expertise in making cameras, and reputations as well. No serious photographer is going to trust the Apple brand name over something like Cannon. And since Apple is about making elite products, it is out of character for them to make a low-end camera for the masses, leaving no other niches in the camera market open for Apple.

When I think "Camera" and "Apple", the first thing that comes to mind is an iPod that can download photos from a camera or RAM stick. How about an iPod that has a flash reader adaptor? A camera, iPod, and small memory stick would offer nearly unlimited photo capacity, perfect for vacations or serious photographers. I'm actually surprised Apple hasn't offered this option yet, because it would open up an entirely new market to the iPod with very little effort. How hard can it be to design and include a flash-USB adaptor for the iPod, along with a little firmware patch?
  • Reply 43 of 66
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Quote:

2. Webcam: What for? There's already a hundred webcams on the market. So Apple's would have a cool case....so what?

but i don't have one, nobody i knows has one...and i have had no reason to get one as i don't know how to do video conferencing with my iMac running os X (ok, so i don't know how to do video conferencing on any computer running any os)...

but if iChat2 comes out with video conferencing included and is, as apple seems to do so beautifully, simple and easy to use, i will need a webcam IMMEDIATELY...i figure tons of other people will need/want one too...

look at it this way...safari came out and a million downloads happened in what, a day?? iChat2 comes out and suddenly there is a huge market for a small webcam that wasn't there the day before...apple shows off iChat2 and one more thing, this tiny lovely webcam that just happens to work perfectly with iChat2 and os X and is available today at apple stores around the USA and available for order online...apple sells a ton and, even if they make almost no money for apple, they at least don't lose money and the webcams make apple people happy and help further keep people from switching to the darkside and maybe even help people to switch to apple

sure i could buy one of the webcams already out, but why would i when i have no need untill iChat2 comes out...and when iChat2 comes out and i do need a webcam, boom, suddenly apple is there saying, "buy ours, you know it will work, you know you love all things apple, feel the rdf, bask in it, let it love you"

g
  • Reply 44 of 66
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    ....and we'll know that the sudden surge of web-cam-pr0n is being streamed via a cute little iMac...OSeXy!!!

• Reply 45 of 66
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    There are some technologies out there to ake vid-con much better than it currently is, and that could bring decent quality to even 56K users, though naturally the more bandwidth the better.

I would be inclined to say that if Apple could make the "whole widget" work as easily as just clicking on iChat and plugging in a camera, then they could sell a bunch. The strength of a web cam, wouldn't really be in the produt itself, but the integration and hassle free ease of use. If they could do it, that is...

A consumer grade digital still camera is another beast. I think they could do it regardless of the competition. It's an industrry in transition to digital, there are plenty of players making money, and some established companies scrambling to change. Being established, in the case of Kodak or Pentax hasn't helped, in some ways it might help to come from some area outside of traditional photography. HP, Toshiba, Panasonic and Sony are just 4 examples of companies making cameras that don't come from the world of photography, though they all have a presence in either video or imaging.

It wouldn't be easy, but it could be worthwhile if done carefully and properly targetted. A very small, dead simple, consumer still/video (MPEG2-4) HDD product, could get quiet a few rich consumers. "Rich Consumer" I say this is a category often confused with "Pro-sumer", that is consumers who want a simple simple simple easy to use product that does it's job well and don't mind paying for that simplicity as opposed to features they may never use. A pro-sumer, OTOH aspires to "pro" machines, mebbe it's just a dream, maybe just a pose, but they're willing to pay for extra speed/features they want/need/think they need.
  • Reply 46 of 66
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Well SJ loves to compare his products with Sony and Sony has an intergrated Camera in some of it's laptops and I would expect that Apple would sdo the same. The cost must now be very low as these things are in all the new mobile phones.

Regarding Cinema displays USB is already built into the displays so there would be no need to invent a new connection. And lets face it a descreet cam built into the monitor would be a lot more attractive that those ugly third party cams that are stuck onto the side of you monitor.

I chat streaming video whilst using a wireless laptop has to be cool at a big selling point.
  • Reply 47 of 66
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Haze

Here's my prediction:

Apple will start including a bare-bones but decent quality firewire webcam with all Macs in the same way they used to include PlainTalk microphones. Integration with iChat for videoconferencing, QT Broadcaster/QTSS for video streaming, and iPhoto (think webcam connected to your laptop). The possibilitites open wide when it can be a given that all Mac users have a webcam at their disposal, just as with accelerated 3d graphics and CD burners.

Just realized, the cams better have a mic or they better bring back those free mics because us tower users don't have mics.
  • Reply 48 of 66
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

Well SJ loves to compare his products with Sony and Sony has an intergrated Camera in some of it's laptops and I would expect that Apple would sdo the same. The cost must now be very low as these things are in all the new mobile phones.

Sony also has some of the highest quality digital still cameras out there...and their integrated camera/computers are fringe products. I have a 256k upstream connection and I can't really videoconference for crap on it...especially in a two-way situation. It just doesn't seem to be in high-demand for the home user. I haven't actually seen any grandma and little kids play charades over webcam connections like those MSN commercials imply. If video-conferencing type stuff were that much in demand, videophones would have made more than a bugsplat of an impression on us in the 80s and 90s.
  • Reply 49 of 66
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

How about an iPod that has a flash reader adapter?

8) DUDE! That would be so cool! If I could plug in my compact flash or microdrives and the iPod would automatically download the files to a "iPhoto" folder and erase the disk. OMG I actually drooled on my shirt!
  • Reply 50 of 66
    mekhanesmekhanes Posts: 13member
    "3. Camera: With HD or not, there are already so many excellent camera designs on the market"

Nope, I must say that most of the digital cameras on the market are complete crap. It is well known that Stevo does not like them either.

Key technologies have emerged recently that could make a big splash, if only they where put together right.

1: The Foveon chip, It is now in mass production, It is a low power CMOS chip that produces superior still images and Video.

2: FireWire

3: Internal ipod Hard-drive, nuf' said

4: OLED, low power, better color - viewing angle and potentially cheaper.

5: Apple software / hardware integration

Throw ingredients in a pot with a dash of Johnny Ives, and you've got a winner

Look at what the ipod did for digital music. The current digital cameras on the market are not compelling. An apple Camera would sell like hot cakes.
  • Reply 51 of 66
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Sony also has some of the highest quality digital still cameras out there...and their integrated camera/computers are fringe products. I have a 256k upstream connection and I can't really videoconference for crap on it...especially in a two-way situation. It just doesn't seem to be in high-demand for the home user. I haven't actually seen any grandma and little kids play charades over webcam connections like those MSN commercials imply. If video-conferencing type stuff were that much in demand, videophones would have made more than a bugsplat of an impression on us in the 80s and 90s.

Well, I would be playing charades with my little girl while talking to my folks if I could use software that works with my fricking Linksys router. No one can connect to me. As for the rest of the world, it isn't popular because it isn't easy. You have to download software, then connect to a web site, then go into a room then invite someone to chat. (at least that's been my experience) Why can't I just hit 'video' next to 'send message' in iChat, and immediately have a window pop up ready to go with video quick and easy? Apple could make it easy and make it work which is why I hope they do.

As for video phones, hello, they suck! They aren't popular because they suck! If it didn't suck! it would be popular. There are some phones at BestBuy (ibeamer or something) for $500 a pair that I want to buy for my folks and I. However, I'll be slapped up side the head before I spend $500 for a product that I can't see performing in action. The whole point of a video phone is the frickin video, but they want us to pay $500 without seeing the damn video! Frick that! Go buy a TV without seeing the picture and hope it looks nice when you get home. Also, what the frick can you see on that matchbox sized screen? An 8 1/2"x11" LCD monitor would be cool maybe using mpeg-4 or something, anything for a decent picture. And turn the FRICKIN PHONES ON AT BESTBUY so we can see the frickin picture!!

Sorry, touchy subject for me, excuse my rant and language, please forgive me.
  • Reply 52 of 66
    naderbynaderby Posts: 131member
    Well, it seems the article has been pulled.

Quote:

At the demand of Apple Computer Inc. we have removed "Apple to push videoconferencing with new iChat, camera" from Think Secret. We do so only to avoid a dispute, and such removal should not be construed as an admission. We respectfully contend that the use of any disputed material did not constitute publication of "trade secrets" and was part of Think Secret's tradition and practice of comment, criticism and news reporting of interest to our readers.

Can we say... 'confirmed' ?
  • Reply 53 of 66
    Mekhanes, on the Foveon X3 sensors...I agree they are quite nice, but they are expensive. At this point I'd rather have a 5 mp digital camera which uses a traditional Bayer pattern image sensor rather than a <2 mp Foveon X3 based camera which would cost just as much.

On the HDD... You can already buy 512 MB CF cards for ~$100 at Amazon. I really don't see the need to store, say a thousand 5 mp high-quality JPEGS on a single 5 GB HDD when you can store 100 on one durable tried-and-true 512 MB CF card. Of course most people don't shoot at full resolution all the time either. I don't see the need to add moving parts in the form of a HDD. It's an additional source of battery drain and bulk that quite frankly isn't necessary at this point. Unless this camera is going to have an 8 inch diagonal LCD, it's not going to be a very good digital photo album. Even with a normal sized LCD, the camera would be huge with a Toshiba 1.8" HDD + a battery to go with it + all the ncessary optics. Ideally, this camera would be roughly iPod sized...maybe slightly thicker.
  • Reply 54 of 66
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    Mekhanes ~ you nailed it. Apple has a unique opportunity to once again innovate in this area. Pulling together Foveon, OLED, and micro drives into a consumer device that does great stills and good video without the need for tape is a winner.

Eugene ~ A mid range, CF equipped camera using conventional tech for great stills and short MPEG's would suit you.

Kid Red ~ A cheap (for Apple) firewire web cam that can go remote to record video when attached to an iPod would be a nice solution. If iChat Live would solve the "suckyness" of video conferencing you should be pleased.

Ebby ~ The pavlovian device you salivate over could be tied to the iPod with the double ended iPod connector cable rumored elsewhere.

I think a three product range for Apple would be the optimal entry to the digital imaging market:

1). a firewire web cam ~ tightly coupled to iChat Live for video phone capabilities.

2). a mid range digital camera using standard Compact Flash or Micro Drive technology. Capable of 20 - 30 min of video

3). A pro-sumer hard drive equipped digital video camera with excellent still image capabilities.

All three of these cameras could be linked (with the rumored cable) to the iPod to transfer and store images and video.

Aphelion ...
  • Reply 55 of 66
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Well can we say confirmed?

nevermind... naderby beat me to it... That's what I get for posting 1st and reading 2nd..

Dave
  • Reply 56 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion

Mekhanes ~ you nailed it. Apple has a unique opportunity to once again innovate in this area. Pulling together Foveon, OLED, and micro drives into a consumer device that does great stills and good video without the need for tape is a winner.

This camera would be about the size of of a Nikon CoolPix 5700 or larger, have diminished battery life, and cost well over $1000. This would be a fringe product like Sony's CD-R still cameras or Hitachi's DVD-R camcorder.

All that stuff would be great. Heck, Apple should put it in a nice professional body, make it compatible with Canon EF lenses, and give it wireless capabilities, but that's not going to happen. None of the above will happen anytime in the near future.
  • Reply 57 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

This camera would be about the size of of a Nikon CoolPix 5700 or larger, have diminished battery life, and cost well over $1000. This would be a fringe product like Sony's CD-R still cameras or Hitachi's DVD-R camcorder.

All that stuff would be great. Heck, Apple should put it in a nice professional body, make it compatible with Canon EF lenses, and give it wireless capabilities, but that's not going to happen. None of the above will happen anytime in the near future.

Yep... At least a webcam will come true. iChat2 will be served with an Apple branded camera. Apple's demand to remove this article over at "Think Secret" speaks a clear language.
  • Reply 58 of 66
    contemptcontempt Posts: 43member
    You know if this webcam would retail for $29 then it'll be a hit. Anything more expensive and people will start questioning it. Figure there are some crap digital camera's out there for less than $100. This definitely has to stay a webcam and not compete as a digital camera.

Plus on the poor image quality level, all new cell phones have cameras. All set on a network that quickly transmits the photo. What advantage besides design would Apple offer with a product as a standalone?

I for one would love to see something with Airport Extreme. Plus a microphone since Apple has been working on their voice recognition software. That way wherever you are, you just walk around and dictate. And that could have a webcam integrated.
  • Reply 59 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael Grey on 06-04-03

Plunking my money down on the barrel:

Simple Firewire webcam. Under $100. No storage.

Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

You mean like the dozens currently available? I'll take you money and say no, it won't be a simple single purpose web cam.

Ka-ching! Okay I was off on the price. I don't know what was I thinking...it's Apple afterall.

And yea, I hate guys who dredge up their old posts, too. But how often am I right about anything?
  • Reply 60 of 66
    kenjaykenjay Posts: 8member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael Grey

Ka-ching! Okay I was off on the price. I don't know what was I thinking...it's Apple afterall.

And yea, I hate guys who dredge up their old posts, too. But how often am I right about anything?

I am so completely impressed!!

Really!!