Jesus

Comments

• Reply 41 of 178
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

Thanx Anders.

Br is in " I'm kickin ass " mode...which kinda stops him from reading properly.....ho hum..
  • Reply 42 of 178
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

Thanx Anders.

Br is in " I'm kickin ass " mode...which kinda stops him from reading properly.....ho hum..

Excuse me?
  • Reply 43 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Excuse me?

Read the thread.....
  • Reply 44 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

Read the thread.....

I've been often accused of being an asshole. So, coming from me, this really should mean something. You are a real asshole. I'm sorry, but a snide remark and a dumbass wink do not help your cause in trying to enlighten the rest of the world to your nutjob cult.
  • Reply 45 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

I've been often accused of being an asshole. So, coming from me, this really should mean something. You are a real asshole. I'm sorry, but a snide remark and a dumbass wink do not help your cause in trying to enlighten the rest of the world to your nutjob cult.

Be Nice BR...Be Nice...

If in case you missed it, Anders quoted my position on Christ that's all...

As for my version of Christianity being for nutcases ..well I am proud you think so......Yep..dats me..kiddo..

At least I've read the UB book...along with the Bible & the Koran....& therefore can speak with some authority.

Can you truthfully say the same ?

I used to bag the Bible & Christ, but I'm entitled to change..just as you are entitled to remain the same...

Don't let my faith stand in the way of your cynicism...

• Reply 46 of 178
    You speak in the most condescending manner I've seen in ages. You act as if you are in some position of authority and have all the answers because you belong to a silly cult. The one thing that sets you apart from being a loveable little nutty evangelist like fellowship is your utter lack of humility. Of course, that's one of the teachings of jesus that you just sweep under the cosmic rug, right Culty McCult Cult?
  • Reply 47 of 178
    In India there is a man called Sri Sathya Sai Baba. He has been filmed performing miracles; the circumstances of his birth appear to be quite remarkable. He teaches love, humility, charity and forgiveness: check out the websites. Millions of people in India and throughout the world believe him to be the Son of God.

I hope that all the open-minded Christians on this board will immediately proceed to buy the books of his aphorisms and make up their minds for themselves whether this man is indeed an incarnation of the Supreme Being or not.
  • Reply 48 of 178
    I mean, if God can slow down the speed of light and sow fossils in coal mines to test our faith, what's to stop him sending another son back to earth not predicted in Judeo-Christian scripture to see if we're really ready to love each other?

HE'S THE SUPREME BEING! He doesn't have to stick to the plot. He doesn't have to do what the prophets or the scriptures predict, after all.

Or will he not send his son back to speak through people from Asian traditions on principle?
  • Reply 49 of 178
    I know, let's just dismiss Sai Baba and his followers as the leader and the members of a cult! Let's do that.

The Son of God from India. Imagine. What a preposterous notion.
  • Reply 50 of 178
    Teeeell you what, let's just call it a draw. Jesus and Sai Baba have so much in common. They're both cool in my book. In a thousand years people will probably be going to war and torturing others in the name of Sai Baba and laughing at Christians and their guy on the cross with the crown of thorns and their unshakeable conviction that they alone had the only path to salvation.

All that "free will" and "original sin" nonsense. Poor bastards.
  • Reply 51 of 178
    the generalthe general Posts: 649member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Look, the real reason christianity took off is simple: marketing. Christianity is quite frankly a better product than Judaism. It answers more questions, provides a reason to stay (heaven), and a deterrent to leave (hell). It also appeals to man's inherent laziness since it is not works that gets you into heaven but rather faith. You have no responsibility because the sky daddy's son (which is himself...so damn weird) already took the fall for you.

While you disagree with it, atleast you get how it works, most 'christians' dont(thus why most of them try to earn there way into heaven) of course, you still have responisbilites, but thats another issue...
  • Reply 52 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

You speak in the most condescending manner I've seen in ages. You act as if you are in some position of authority and have all the answers because you belong to a silly cult.

Condescension..NO...Authority..Yes..

And with great humility, and a deeply reverent awe like someone who has been given a second chance at life. Like someone who has come to the realization of the central meaning to his life in Christ.

Re : UB has never been a cult & never will be one.

[/i]The one thing that sets you apart from being a loveable little nutty evangelist like fellowship is your utter lack of humility. [/QUOTE]

You should't treat Fellowship like some sort of mascot.

He strives with living his faith & I deeply admire him for it......I feel as if he is a brother..

Your point about Christ teaching the importance of humility before GOD and your fellow men is correct..

But he was talking about real humility born of the heart, and not the showy self concious type of humility often seen in many of our churches....

So BR..call me what you will, but I will never back away from admitting Christ as my saviour..

And so, if in your opinion, I come across as lacking humility, then I am sorry you read it that way...

Peace.
  • Reply 53 of 178
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Jesus taught to live with honesty, humility, patience, tolerance, kindness, sympathy and a desire to do good, and saw faith in an almighty God as the vehicle to reach his goals.

Yes, but don't you see?.......THAT part might have been the manufactured piece in the puzzle. Once you start to deconstruct who He was, it's tough to stop.

bla bla bla.....I gotta stop here.
  • Reply 54 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

Yes, but don't you see?.......THAT part might have been the manufactured piece in the puzzle. Once you start to deconstruct who He was, it's tough to stop.

Well, quite. But that doesn't mean the story as presented in the New Testament is necessarily accurate, that there might be a historical truth that doesn't match the scripture, or that it's useless to consider the evidence.

I don't believe that Jesus was the son of God for one second, but I certainly believe that he existed. I can reconcile this quite happily because I have nothing to lose by considering the possibility.
  • Reply 55 of 178
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Well, quite. But that doesn't mean the story as presented in the New Testament is necessarily accurate, that there might be a historical truth that doesn't match the scripture, or that it's useless to consider the evidence.

Yes, indeed, It's just that there is a tendency to assume a mental picture of Jesus---as a nice guy, etc, etc. If the eyewitness accounts are wrong, he could be anyone or anything.

I wonder, why are the eyewitness accounts discounted historically, almost out-of-hand? I think in another situation, historians would try to corroberate references to current events, administrations, and even between the accounts themselves as some indication of their veracity. Seems like that would be easy enough to do. I'm sure someone, somewhere has done that already.

Maybe something in-depth---looking at cultural practices, dialects---maybe try to reference what didn't burn in Alexandria to triangulate historicity. Josephus, that sort of thing.
  • Reply 56 of 178
    Let's have an evidence party.
  • Reply 57 of 178
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I have little doubt that Jesus is a son of God, but then so are we, whatever that means.
  • Reply 58 of 178
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

That whole jesus is his own daddy thing always gave me the creeps.

You mean you've never been you own grandpa (apparently an old song-- sorry if this was already discussed in this thread. I'm getting out before I get burned in one way or another.)
  • Reply 59 of 178
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    You left out an option. I believe he was a kind man, a great leader, and he believed in peace and love instead of war and hatred. He showed many people how to live a virtuous life. But his actions were exaggerated in the Bible. I don't believe he performed miracles, or that he was the son of God. He was just a wonderful spiritual leader.

So my response would be somewhat of a combination of options 1, 3 and 4.
  • Reply 60 of 178
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    I think Jesus was very much like the smarter human that became what we are today. Everyone else were still deers in headlights consciously and then here comes this dude who knew it all and made no excuses...except that he was the Son of God.

Remember the shoe scene in "Life of Brian"? Like that...\