New Quicktime Trailers fudged up...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Anyone notice that since 6.3 came out the trailers that have been released since then are all fudged up like they are interlaced? The old ones work fine...what gives?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Apple's switched to an MPEG-4 video codec instead of using Sorenson 3...

So whoever encoded these trailers either accidentally used interlacing

or

interlacing helps keep over all video quality up and artifacting down at the expense of frame detail.

Sorenson 3 version of The Incredibles teaser

MPEG-4 version

They are slightly different, but close enough for comparison. You see a lot more jaggies and artifacts in the MPEG-4 version, while the Sorenson 3 version looks smoother over-all. Also note that Sorenson 3 fools around with the contrast of the video...the darks get darker and lights get lighter...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    I just noticed the same thing. The Seabiscuit trailer looks like garbage in some parts!

I think this might be an unfortunate side-effect of Apple switching from Sorenson 3 to MPEG-4 to encode their trailers. What gives? It's not like they're saving any bandwidth, since the new trailers still weigh in around 25 MB.

[Looks like Eugene beat me by a few seconds!]
  • Reply 3 of 5
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    It is not a MPEG-4 issue. I have seen and encoded extremely clean MPEG-4 clips for clients. I guess they might need some trial and error.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    The new trailers look like utter crap.

they look so bad in high movement parts and so much pixel sticking occurs especially in the new 2 fast 2 furious trailer
  • Reply 5 of 5
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Hmm. QT for Windows is even stranger. In Mozilla, the Sorensen film plays back just fine. The MPEG-4 looks like a time-lapse of a Jasper Johns painting in a microwave.

In IE, except for a jitter at the beginning, the MPEG-4 movie looks fine. I didn't notice any radical difference in quality, but I admittedly wasn't looking closely. There were a few areas with what looked like pretty obvious interlacing.