iMac update overlooked?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Yea, great powerbook and possibly iBook updates next week... but what about Apple's biggest seller... the iMac. Are they really going to let it go a year without an update (with the exception of the 17 inch addition)?



How is stock for the current iMac everywhere?



The iMac specs were decent when it was released in January.... now they are on the edge of pathetic... and the price decreases have not reflected the outdatedness of the hardware over time.



For a product that used to be their big holiday push, Apple seems to be neglecting it.



It's a shame and I'm not sure why they are holding back... faster G4s are available... the PowerMacs all have duals now so the iMac can move to a 133Mhz bus and maybe even 1Ghz.... larger hard drives are available... Geforce 4MX is old now and can be moved to the lower models... superdrive is now dirt cheap compared to what it was a yer ago and can be expanded to the middle priced model if they'd like... they could possibly introduce a cheaper 17 inch model..



there's a lot of stuff they can do to offer a big improvement with little effort... I don't understand why they would wait unless there was an insane surplus inventory... and if that's the case they should have been working on reducing that for a while now.



I don't get it <img src="graemlins/hmmm.gif" border="0" alt="[Hmmm]" />



[ 10-31-2002: Message edited by: applenut ]</p>
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 55
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I agree completely :eek:



    Edit: Three words and I spell one wrong. That's really embarrassing.



    [ 10-31-2002: Message edited by: Telomar ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 55
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    I agree too. I am hoping that they will update it when the updated Superdrive is out. That would make a nice addition.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    We will have to see what Tuesday brings.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    I don't know what's more embarrasing, going a whole year without an iMac update or still using a G3 in the iBook
  • Reply 5 of 55
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    It's funny, because in some instances, the 700MHz G3 in the iBook runs as fast, or faster, than the 800MHz G4 in the Ti. It also runs a HELL of a lot cooler and remains nearly silent.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Steve:

    <strong>It's funny, because in some instances, the 700MHz G3 in the iBook runs as fast, or faster, than the 800MHz G4 in the Ti. It also runs a HELL of a lot cooler and remains nearly silent.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    mind saying what instances those would be? because overall a G4 would run OS X better and a G4 would run all the iApps better.... so.......
  • Reply 7 of 55
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

    <strong>but what about Apple's biggest seller... the iMac. Are they really going to let it go a year without an update (with the exception of the 17 inch addition)?</strong><hr></blockquote>And what's scary is that it's not their best seller anymore, if you look only at the flat panel iMac. That sold less than both iBook and the Powermac :eek: . You have to include the eMac and original iMac to make it their best seller. And IIRC the eMac itself, which has had virtually zero marketing outsold the flat panel iMac.



    Revenues must be in the toilet for that thing, given the margins compared to the PowerMac. I'd bet the PowerMac brought in twice the revenue of the TFT iMac.



    Is this thing the new Cube? Maybe it's too strange looking for people, or too expensive. They need to do better with their number one machine.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

    <strong>



    mind saying what instances those would be? because overall a G4 would run OS X better and a G4 would run all the iApps better.... so.......</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Well, gaming performance, app launch times, and anything that isn't particularly floating-point-intensive or deals with media on-the-fly. Even opening, say, 1000 windows on the iBook is faster. The G4 lacks some of the basic, brute force "umph" found in the iBook's 750FX. It also gets much better battery life. As a low-power consumer portable, the iBook should continue to use the G3.



    [ 10-31-2002: Message edited by: Steve ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 55
    guyguy Posts: 16member
    Have you actually used both, Steve? I have a 700 MHz G3 iBook I use at work, and DAMN it is slow. I had a buddy's Ti 800 for a week and it trounced the iBook completely at everything.



    If the G3 ISN'T dead, it damn well should be.



    I also agree with the iMac update. I can't believe it has been this long without an update. It needs to be updated as badly as the PowerBook does.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Steve:

    <strong>



    Well, gaming performance, app launch times, and anything that isn't particularly floating-point-intensive or deals with media on-the-fly. Even opening, say, 1000 windows on the iBook is faster. The G4 lacks some of the basic, brute force "umph" found in the iBook's 750FX. It also gets much better battery life. As a low-power consumer portable, the iBook should continue to use the G3.



    [ 10-31-2002: Message edited by: Steve ]</strong><hr></blockquote>



    I don't agree with that at all.

    1.) Apple's OpenGL libraries are altivec optimized so gaming should see an improvement

    2.) App launch times I haven't noticed a difference between a G3 and a G4.... actually, for the most part, it seems once you reach a certain speed app launch times are limited by its code or something

    3.) "low power consumer portable" that is being used for digital media... iTunes, iMovie both heavily use altivec... iPhoto likely does as well... Apple's OS is getting more and more altivec optimizations

    4.) It's nearly 2003 and Apple is still selling a computer that doesn't have a SIMD unit.... G3's advantages aside, that's pathetic
  • Reply 11 of 55
    jrcjrc Posts: 806member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

    <strong>Yea, great powerbook and possibly iBook updates next week... but what about Apple's biggest seller... the iMac. Are they really going to let it go a year without an update (with the exception of the 17 inch addition)?



    How is stock for the current iMac everywhere?



    The iMac specs were decent when it was released in January.... now they are on the edge of pathetic... and the price decreases have not reflected the outdatedness of the hardware over time.



    For a product that used to be their big holiday push, Apple seems to be neglecting it.



    It's a shame and I'm not sure why they are holding back... faster G4s are available... the PowerMacs all have duals now so the iMac can move to a 133Mhz bus and maybe even 1Ghz.... larger hard drives are available... Geforce 4MX is old now and can be moved to the lower models... superdrive is now dirt cheap compared to what it was a yer ago and can be expanded to the middle priced model if they'd like... they could possibly introduce a cheaper 17 inch model..



    there's a lot of stuff they can do to offer a big improvement with little effort... I don't understand why they would wait unless there was an insane surplus inventory... and if that's the case they should have been working on reducing that for a while now.



    I don't get it <img src="graemlins/hmmm.gif" border="0" alt="[Hmmm]" />



    [ 10-31-2002: Message edited by: applenut ]</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Okay, I'm not a research nerd, but the biggest seller might take second fiddle to the biggest money maker. I thought during the last conference call that it was the iBook that was making money hand over fist.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    [quote]Is this thing the new Cube? Maybe it's too strange looking for people, or too expensive. They need to do better with their number one machine.<hr></blockquote>



    I don't know what the general public thinks about LCD screens; I personally can't stand them (except for the really high end ones). Of course, anyone who dislikes the screen for any reason has to weigh that into buying the whole computer. Plus an LCD costs more. If people are turned off by the screen, then it's a tremendous waste.



    I don't think anyone minds a stylish computer though. The original iMac was 'weird', and so the eMac is too. And it's not the hardware, since the eMac is similar there.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by JRC:

    <strong>



    Okay, I'm not a research nerd, but the biggest seller might take second fiddle to the biggest money maker. I thought during the last conference call that it was the iBook that was making money hand over fist.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    I don't think that's true... iMac sales numbers are REALLY low... the iMac = Apple .... poor sales will result in poor financial numbers.... and sales are pretty poor. Apple also needs revenue and good sales of iMacs will generate much more revenue than good sales of iBooks.



    [quote]I don't know what the general public thinks about LCD screens; I personally can't stand them (except for the really high end ones). Of course, anyone who dislikes the screen for any reason has to weigh that into buying the whole computer. Plus an LCD costs more. If people are turned off by the screen, then it's a tremendous waste.<hr></blockquote>



    I believe the general public loves them... maybe not just because of the quality and sharpness and brightness but just because they are cool.



    LCDs are the big thing now... the LCD isn't the problem... although 15 inches is pretty small.... a lot of people are getting 17 inch LCDs now for similar prices and MUCH better specs for that money.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    The Apple store still shows the iMac branded as NEW. The iBook, TiBook, Xserve and snow iMac do not have little NEW icons attached.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mac The Fork:

    <strong>



    I don't know what the general public thinks about LCD screens; I personally can't stand them (except for the really high end ones)....

    I don't think anyone minds a stylish computer though. The original iMac was 'weird', and so the eMac is too. And it's not the hardware, since the eMac is similar there.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    I've had my 15" LCD iMac for about 6 months and still find the 19"CRT at work much more pleasing to the eye. I'm not sure if it's the softer look or maybe it's the higher resolution.

    (If I had the 17" iMac, it may be a different story.)



    As far as looks are concerned, everyone who sees my iMac is blown away by it's beauty. The general public is more aware of design today. It also shares more than just poor sales with the Cube. It will probably also end up in the Museum of Modern Art.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    I agree, Applenut. With Powermacs being all dual CPU, there's no reason Apple couldn't bump the iMacs to 1 GHz. How about 1 GHz across the line? Displays and RAM/HD/Video chipsets are enough to differentiate them. How about:



    iMacs, all 1 GHz, 133 MHz FSB.



    Low end: 15" LCD CDRW drive. GeForce 2 MX 32 MB, 256 MB RAM, 40 GB HD

    Midrange: 17" LCD Combo Drive. GeForce 4 MX 64 MB, 384 MB RAM, 60 GB HD

    High end: 17" LCD Superdrive. GeForce 4 MX 64 MB, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB HD

    Special Edition: 19" LCD, Superdrive, GeForce 4 Ti 64 MB, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB HD





    Instead, I think Apple will wait a full year since the iMac's introduction to update it. It fits with their current strategy to "Innovate their way out of this recession". Here's their strategy:



    1. Leave the iMac alone, don't update it.

    2. Watch the sales volume drop every month as more and more potential buyers wait or buy an alternative.

    3. Keep tabs on the building inventory.

    4. Make announcements about the economy being responsible for lackluster iMac sales.

    5. Don't update it! Leave it alone. Tell Jon Rubenstein that his proposed hardware revisions are "too agressive" for the consumer market.

    6. Wait. Watch inventory pile up. Wait some more.

    7. Blow everyone away at MWSF, a full year after the iMac was introduced, with some "stop-gap" revisions: 933 MHz, 133 MHz FSB, same video cards. Steve Jobs: "Isn't it AMAZING?!?!?! A 933 MHz G4 packed into that little iMac! It's utterly astounding!

    8. Hold off on the GHz iMacs until sales fall to unprecedented lows. Then only make the high end iMac 1 GHz, and keep the low end at 667 MHz for good luck.



    After all, imac users don't need performance, they need cute looks and neat-o designs.



    Sometimes it helps to step back and admire the genius of Apple's business practices from afar.



    [ 10-31-2002: Message edited by: Junkyard Dawg ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 55
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    JD, maybe we can get you some cheese with your whine?
  • Reply 18 of 55
    [quote]Originally posted by mrmister:

    <strong>JD, maybe we can get you some cheese with your whine?</strong><hr></blockquote>



    How about some piss with that vinegar, mrmister?
  • Reply 19 of 55
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by mrmister:

    <strong>JD, maybe we can get you some cheese with your whine?</strong><hr></blockquote>



    I think JD's breakdown was eerily too close to the truth.. I don't know what you're talking about
  • Reply 20 of 55
    "Is this thing the new Cube? Maybe it's too strange looking for people, or too expensive."



    When Apple bumped the price in the spring (due to overwhelming demand), the FP iMac's base sure started to look like a melting ice Cube.



    With all the G3 bashing above, I wasn't going to post this -- but what the heck. Here's what Apple should do.



    iMac (entry) = $995

    15" FP Display

    1 GHz G3 FX

    NO Fan (see line above)

    RAM = 2 accessible slots of same type
Sign In or Register to comment.