iBook or PowerBook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am going to university this september, and have decided to switch to a mac laptop. I will be using it for watching DVDs, playing music (I have already ordered a 15gb ipod) and word processing, I may have to use Virtual Pc (I hope not though).

Which Laptop should I buy.

1)12" iBook

2)14" iBook

3)12" PowerBook.

I love the look of the 12" powerbook.

The 12" iBook is cheap but is the screen too small? I need something I can carry around with me.

Which one do you think I should buy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    The 14" iBook's screen is the same resolution as the 12"; so, you aren't going to fit any more on there. It's only worthwhile if you have poor eyesight, IMO.

That said, go for the PowerBook if you can afford it. Lots of apps are taking advantage of AltiVec these days, making the G4 quite a bit more powerful than the G3.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Plus, the PB will last you longer, and has a lot more extra features than the iBook. And at the new prices for the PB's($1599 Combo 12in), you get much more power for only $100 more than a 14in. iBook.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I voted PowerBook but let me explain why I just changed my mind. It depends on how much money you are budgeting for your computer?

They did just drop the PowerBook price by $200-300 and edu gets you more off. The 12" is CHEAP for a PowerBook but the iBook is just incredible especially on Edu. What will you be doing? If multimedia authoring and gaming, get the PB for the G4 altivec. However for surfing and Word my iBook 500 was fine so the new ones will be plenty fine especially with Quartz Extreme being supported.

There is no debate however that the 12" PowerBook just looks so damn COOL and the keyboard is the best keyboard in the world. Mine also has a SuperDrive which I use a lot, and the screen is a little brighter and bends back a little more. It is a little smaller and lighter, and has Bluetooth which I will be using a lot soon, and Airport Extreme which I may use in the future.

You should WAIT a few weeks to see what Macworld New York and WWDC bring! New Powerbooks are highly likely given the recent price drops and the 15" TiBook's old-rev design. Besides at the end of the summer there will probably be Back to School specials.

Either way you will be ecstatic, they both get compliments when you pull them out.