CD won't eject from slot-loading drive

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I slid the iPod's software CD in my slot-loading PBG4... and now I can't get it out. F12 doesn't do it. The CD icon doesn't even show on the desktop. Any idea what could I do? This is the first time I have problems with the slot loading drive. It just tries to read the disc and after a few failed attempts it ceases to make sounds and just stops.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    enaena Posts: 667member
    I could be wrong, but isn't there a traditional "paper-clip" hole next to the drive? (even at or in the edge of the slot itself)If there is, straighten a paper clip, and insert it in that hole and it should eject.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

I could be wrong, but isn't there a traditional "paper-clip" hole next to the drive? (even at or in the edge of the slot itself)If there is, straighten a paper clip, and insert it in that hole and it should eject.

If there is no hole, Apple built the following protocol into the system to eject CDs...

While the system is booting, hold down the mouse button. This will force the drive to eject the CD.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    There's no hole... so I'll try the button thing... however I think the problem is larger than that... I thought the CD wasn't pushed all the way in, so I tried pushing it deeper with another CD and I was surprised to find out I could fit another whole CD inside the slot as well (i pulled the second out). It seems like the first CD I put in went the wrong way.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    which PB do you have?
  • Reply 5 of 18
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

I slid the iPod's software CD in my slot-loading PBG4... and now I can't get it out. F12 doesn't do it. The CD icon doesn't even show on the desktop. Any idea what could I do? This is the first time I have problems with the slot loading drive. It just tries to read the disc and after a few failed attempts it ceases to make sounds and just stops.

If you have a mouse, attatch it to PB, then restart.

Keep Mouse in depressed mode throughout entire start up process..this process usually forces CD's to be ejected.

\
  • Reply 6 of 18
    sikkdsikkd Posts: 47member
    To eject a CD from PBG4:

Quit all applications, hold down the trackpad button and the power button both until the cd/dvd come out.

THIS WILL RESTART YOUR COMPUTER SO SAVE ALL BEFORE!!!!
  • Reply 7 of 18
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

I thought the CD wasn't pushed all the way in, so I tried pushing it deeper with another CD and I was surprised to find out I could fit another whole CD inside the slot as well (i pulled the second out).

He he, and you wonder why it's broken.....
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

He he, and you wonder why it's broken.....

Actually I take really good care of my stuff, this is just a plain freak incident.

it's a PB G4 with superdrive. the very last 15-incher that came out from apple. it's pretty much brand new... have it since march.

I'll take it for service on Monday, since it's still covered by the 1 year warranty. I can't do anything to get it out.

Thanks to those who provided me with suggestions, I really appreciate it guys.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    i'm still confused... does the drive work at all?
  • Reply 10 of 18
    yeah, sadly if a mini cd is used in a slot loading drive, there is no fix. the drive is broken and you need to get it serviced. although interesting suggestions nonetheless.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

yeah, sadly if a mini cd is used in a slot loading drive, there is no fix. the drive is broken and you need to get it serviced. although interesting suggestions nonetheless.

Apple doesn't distribute mini-CDs. He said it was a iPod Software CD.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    woah.

i completely misread this entire thread. i hear cd problem+slot loading drive and always think "minicd".

sheesh, if this is a regular CD then that shouldn't have happened at all.

my apologies for a lack of good suggestions then.

in that case, what happened when you put the other cd in? did it try to mechanically pull the second CD in or not?
  • Reply 13 of 18
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Shame it wasn't a Pee Cee..Otherwise I'd a fix'it with a sledgehammer.....
  • Reply 14 of 18
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    Mac = good

PC = ... good
  • Reply 15 of 18
    enaena Posts: 667member
    I took apart my kids iMac slot loading drive to remove the barbie shoes and the 1/4 bottle of Windex that the two-year old squirted into it.

It's not like taking apart a PB but the drive opened with four screws--fairly straightforward. (read easy to viod warranty)
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Well the superdrive didn't work anymore. The CD icon wouldn't even show on the desktop and it would make noises when it tried to push it out/read it. It actually became really annoying so I stopped trying to take it out myself and just took it to an Apple repair center.

I really, really hope the drive ain't damaged. I'm guessing the drive must have fallen out of place but I don't know how could that happen since I'm the only one that uses my PowerBook. I was just attempting to restore the iPod's software. I had never even used that iPod CD. It was brand new. I wonder if that had anything to do with it? I don't know.

I hope they can get it fixed! Thanks guys.

[Edit] It feels weird using a Dell again. I'm used to my Mac and it's much cooler (temperature wise... this one gets too hot!)
  • Reply 17 of 18
  • Reply 18 of 18
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

Well the superdrive didn't work anymore. The CD icon wouldn't even show on the desktop and it would make noises when it tried to push it out/read it. It actually became really annoying so I stopped trying to take it out myself and just took it to an Apple repair center.

I really, really hope the drive ain't damaged. I'm guessing the drive must have fallen out of place but I don't know how could that happen since I'm the only one that uses my PowerBook. I was just attempting to restore the iPod's software. I had never even used that iPod CD. It was brand new. I wonder if that had anything to do with it? I don't know.

I hope they can get it fixed! Thanks guys.

[Edit] It feels weird using a Dell again. I'm used to my Mac and it's much cooler (temperature wise... this one gets too hot!)

Thanks to some friends at my previous workplace that were Apple Certified, I was able to do my own repairs on my TiBook 'under warranty. Hehe. But I will tell you this, there is NO ROOM for the Super Drive to 'fall out of place'. There is sooooo little room on the inside of the PowerBook and there are sooooo many little components. I had to take apart everything at least 2 or 3 times since I kept having to back up since I didn't realize I needed to put a piece somewhere before I closed something up. (I replaced the top case and LCD) Of course the 'real' Apple Cert guys were there to help me along. It's really funny that when I got my keyboard replaced under warranty when the backspace key fell off, that the chick at the Apple Store needed to go in back to replace it just because there were no static grounds in the 'Genius Bar' area. Haha. I took my entire PowerBook apart and put it back together without a static ground weeks earlier. ;-) And she was worried about the keyboard... Heh.

Oh. I haven't even touched my iPod CD. Still in the box for the past month or however long it's been since the new ones were out.