AI gets in on the action

Comments

• Reply 61 of 375
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    and wheeee!

Mods, has my post been changed? May be I am tired but I thought I posted something different here.
  • Reply 62 of 375
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

no, it won't.

Yes, it will.

I like this line of arguing!
  • Reply 63 of 375
    Another thought...If Apple plans on just putting their apple logo on the side of these new boxes, then the naming of the new computers can wait until the last moment. They may call them G5 just to give them a name, but until TV spots or other promotional materials are printed, the name could still change. Not that I car much what the name is, as long as they are better than what we have now. Most of Apple's names are boring as far as I'm concerned. Calling OSX 10.2 'Jaguar' was the best naming of a product Apple has come up with since the iMac.
  • Reply 64 of 375
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jante99

and wheee!

In this thread at MacNN somebody says:

" Panther has many cool features. But the top 2 are 64-bit clean and stunning graphics.

Expect Quartz to get way more extreme. Think NeXT dimension times 4 <http://www.channelu.com/NeXT/History...030/page4.html>. Think graphics co-processor. To compress backing stores, damage repair being offloaded...

All I can add is that new G4 tower owners will be pleasantly surprised And the 970 owners will be positively thrilled. Of course, users of older hardware will bitch (time to upgrade guys!). If you are into Media of any sort, the new hardware is definitely worth the upgrade... Dual 2.2 GHz at sub two-grand... Also hold off on those 15" Powerbook purchases 'til the end of summer... you never know

Also look for Renderman coming back to its roots... in a very surprising configuration specifically built for movie industry. Will definitely SHAKE the industry

All in all a lot of hardware niceties for the high-end pro market. I feel really sorry for SGI.

More NeXT time ..."

Which almost makes me think there may be a little truth to the hardware rumors.

A rumor is a rumor, but the same rumor from two places is... a rumor.
  • Reply 65 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Spec doesn't account for SIMD units. Altivec is much more important to Macs than SSE2 is to Wintel.

Absolutely! Add that and the lower power consumption, the pricing of the 970s, double and ? quad processors at reasonable prices and Apple has a short term advantage in the processor wars. Of course, AMD offers more of a challenge but let's not forget that the biggest part of the Windows experience is the OS, not the CPU or the BOX... and that says it all.
  • Reply 66 of 375
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i know nothing.
  • Reply 67 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

In this thread at MacNN somebody says:

Oh Lord rm is back. I thought those smug fantasies sounded familiar. Don't get your hopes up.
  • Reply 68 of 375
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    maybe kinda interesting to note is that the front page sez:

inside info

instead of:

rumor

and that the title is a much larger font than the other threads

or it could all mean nothing

still haven't heard if this is from neworder or not...new is somebody i trust, so the rumor would carry more weight with me if we saw his name attached to this story

g
  • Reply 69 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by - J B 7 2 -

Oh Lord rm is back. I thought those smug fantasies sounded familiar. Don't get your hopes up.

Ah, I don't spend a whole lot of time on MacNN so I had no idea who it was posting it. Thanks though. But I have learned not to get my hopes up, as I have no money anyway. I just enjoy jumping in the rumor threads for the ride.
  • Reply 70 of 375
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Continuing with the Australian theme (Vegimite)

No more incompetant Billy "Motorola" McMahon, bring on wild Gough "IBM" Whitlam!
  • Reply 71 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

Ah, I don't spend a whole lot of time on MacNN so I had no idea who it was posting it. Thanks though. But I have learned not to get my hopes up, as I have no money anyway. I just enjoy jumping in the rumor threads for the ride.

To be fair, quite a few people on MacNN put weight in what he says. I just personally think he's FOS. I just try not to get my hopes up these days. I'm still stinging from a particularly disapointing MWNY.
  • Reply 72 of 375
    Possible names:

GX

G10

Why not skip "5" entirely? Tie into OS X branding. And 10÷4 may actually be a fair approximation of the performance boost...
  • Reply 73 of 375
    Also, remember that the G5 moniker is closely associated with a product being terribly overdue. Not the kind of name to get people excited about after so much time has passed. GX / G10 emphasize the idea that this product is more than "incremental."
  • Reply 74 of 375
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Continuing with the Australian theme (Vegimite)

No more incompetant Billy "Motorola" McMahon, bring on wild Gough "IBM" Whitlam!

??????????????????????? What!!!! ?????????????????????

What is up with the song linked to smeagol!!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!???????!?!?!?????
  • Reply 75 of 375
    How about the Gstring? Or G-Spot? Does that represent how excited people will be about it's arrival?
  • Reply 76 of 375
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

What is up with the song linked to smeagol?

That song is the theme song for the Australian yeast spread otherwise known as "Vegimite". The song was written in the 1950s (or around there).

When beer is fermented, a black yeast goo sticks to the edges of the vats. This is scraped off, packaged in rather tiny glass jars by the good people at Phillip Morris (owners of Kraft) and sold as Vegimite.

Millions of Australians eat it every morning on toast and every lunchtime in sandwiches. Australians, having been raised on the stuff, love it. Everyone else in the world considers it to be outside the classification "food".

Barto
  • Reply 77 of 375
    Quote:

That song is the theme song for the Australian yeast spread otherwise known as "Vegimite". The song was written in the 1950s (or around there).

When beer is fermented, a black yeast goo sticks to the edges of the vats. This is scraped off, packaged in rather tiny glass jars by the good people at Phillip Morris (owners of Kraft) and sold as Vegimite.

Millions of Australians eat it every morning on toast and every lunchtime in sandwiches. Australians, having been raised on the stuff, love it. Everyone else in the world considers it to be outside the classification "food".

Barto

Phillip Morris also owns like half the cigarrette companies. But one of my teachers last semester was Austalian and he told me that when eaten how it is down there it's not that bad. He said it was just very salty so it was used sparingly.
  • Reply 78 of 375
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

mmmm...does a body good.

blech...

now how does that fit with the freaky thing and does it have anything to do with apple?
  • Reply 79 of 375
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i have a jar of Vegemite in my cupboard. straight from Australia.
  • Reply 80 of 375
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Quote:

Barto

How about the G-Mac? hehe

Brad, how do you know all this stuff about Vegemite? That kind of scares me. And WTF does that horrible song have to do with Apple or even smeagol or anything else for that matter???????? I mean you have to point us in the right direction or everyone is going to be too lost to figure out your little game.