MOVED: The upcoming iBook update vs. PBG4 500

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I bought my PB G4 500 when I was worikng in design and needed it's big screen etc.

I'm now back in grad school full time for two years, and all I use my laptop for now is writing papers, internet, itunes, iphoto, ical... that kind of stuff.

I'm very tempted by the iBooks compact size, but I'm worried about going from a G4 to a G3 especially with OSX supposedly relying more and more on altivec.

But should I be concerned if I'm going form a 500 Mhz G4 to 800 Mhz G3? Will the 300 MHZ jump trump any gains I would have gotten form the G4's altivec?

thanks for any help,

NeilyB

[ 11-02-2002: Message edited by: NeilyB ]

[ 11-03-2002: Message edited by: Bodhi ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    In non-Altivec applications the iBook will be slower than the TiBook 500.

For non-Altivec applications the iBook will be faster: the 750fx is a speedy processor and can keep up with G4s at the same clock speed if Altivec is not involved.

The main "problem" with the current iBooks is not the lack of a G4 but a lack of RAM, as OS X needs 256MB+ to work efficiently. Hopefully this will be sorted with the next revision.

The iBook has a Radeon Mobility, which allows 10.2's Quartz Extreme to be used; the TiBook can't use this with its Rage 128 graphics chipset.

Anyone with some practical experience of the TiBook 500/iBook 2002 able to comment?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    if you are confused by that last post here ya go...

IN ALTIVEC apps it MAY still be slower, but not by much, that extra 300 MHz should do a lot for you (and depending on what kind of app, the better graphic card should help a lot too).

In NON-Altivec apps the iBook is a safe bet.

go for the ibook...its svelt.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Purchasing Advice. Off you go to General Discussion....