College World Series

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
First 2 teams got in today.

Who's your pick to win it all?

I want to make the trek to Omaha so bad to see it since I for once have the time off to do so but its a long trip to the middle of no where and tix are pretty hard to come by it seems.

Let's go Cardinal!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    _ alliance __ alliance _ Posts: 2,070member
    my team choked (like every year), so i guess i'm rooting for rice and baylor. i have a feeling we'll be seeing a nice rice-stanford matchup, although both teams seem to flounder in omaha every year. this might be rice's year...if they can get by those pesky UH cougs.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Pesky Coogs?!

Don't make me pull out the Aggie joke book!

(Heh, I really don't have enough school spirit; you can hardly call UH a college in the sense of what most people think of).
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

Pesky Coogs?!

Don't make me pull out the Aggie joke book!

(Heh, I really don't have enough school spirit; you can hardly call UH a college in the sense of what most people think of).

that's what makes last weekend so upsetting. i'm sick of our entire athletic program choking when it counts...

oh well. this is as close as it's going to get (in any sport, womens soccer aside) while i'm here, i suppose...
  • Reply 4 of 13
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Stanford Vs. Rice!

Yes, just the way I predicted. Good game.... tune in to catch the end on ESPN
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Well, Game 1 ended in disaster. Can't believe that, so embarrassing.

Game 2 Stanford came through, capitalized on Rice's mistakes.

I have been dissapointed with Stanford's pitching though. I think they've been very lucky. They seem to pitch with little control and plan. Very wild. Hell, they hit 5 batters in the first half of the game the other day.

Tomorrow night should be interesting.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I'd like for a Texas squad to win it since my 'Horns were knocked out.

Though the Rice players did the Horns down which pisses me off.

But still I root for Rice.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Well, I'm pulling for Rice tomorrow, only because my bro went there and he would be annoyed if I didn't.

And being from a California public school, it's protocol for me to root against both Stanford and USC.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    zigzagzigzag Posts: 2member
    Rice all the way, although the uniforms look rather dated. It'd be their first national championship of any kind, except perhaps for the unofficial Bong Olympics in 1975.
  • Reply 9 of 13

Stanford was horrible today. They just had no pitching left in em
  • Reply 10 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

Stanford was horrible today. They just had no pitching left in em

Questionable managing at one point too. I turned on the game to see Stanford intentionally walking a guy with no outs and a man on 2nd. Down 4 runs in the late innings, you can't give your opponents baserunners like that...

It backfired, spectacularly though...

And how about that Dodgers/Giants game last night, eh? Worrell blows the save on 2 unearned runs and the game goes into extra innings. Then on his way to scoring the winning run, Barry steals #500...and then REALLY steals the basepad. He ripped it out of the ground and handed it to groundskeeper!
  • Reply 11 of 13
    zigzagzigzag Posts: 2member
    Rice had the deeper team. Besides, Rice was due - its first national championship in any sport. You're talking about a school of 2500 weenies competing in Division I - tough sledding. 8)

Congratulations to both teams.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by zigzag

Rice had the deeper team. Besides, Rice was due - its first national championship in any sport. You're talking about a school of 2500 weenies competing in Division I - tough sledding. 8)

Congratulations to both teams.

1.) Rice had to play less games. They weren't neccessarily deeper.

2.) Stanford is a school of around 5400 students and far more difficult to get in.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by _ alliance _

i have a feeling we'll be seeing a nice rice-stanford matchup, although both teams seem to flounder in omaha every year. this might be rice's year

wow, did i get the series down or what? man, what a great season. congrats to rice, a team i always root for simply because i almost went there.

w/ so much depth, look for a repeat next year.