I got the day off today... woo hoo!! err... crap.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What a start to the day.

I rolled over and saw 8:30am staring me in the face. I'm normally out of the house by 8:40 to get to work. So, into the shower, into some clothes, and I'm ready to leave by 8:38. I leaned over and said goodbye to my wife.

"I'm leaving now."

"Where are you going?"

Damn, she just woke up - poor girl isn't thinking straight yet.

"To work." I say in a "god you're dumb" tone.

"It's Sunday." She says, and promptly rolls over, hating me for disturbing her sleep.

I'm left standing at the side of the bed with my jaw hanging open. SONOFABITCH. It is Sunday. Right... no easy morning of surfing the Mac web, I have day of digging my driveway down, laying gravel, and prepping a Unistone driveway. Oh yeah, much better.

*sigh*

Anyone else ever do this? This is big #3 for me now, lifetime. And this one didn't even involve extreme amounts of alcohol!!

Must be getting old.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    That's rough. Can't say that I've done that, but I have woken up a few times and had NO clue what day or time it is. That's weird.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Reminds me what I like about renting
  • Reply 3 of 15
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    had that happen a few times. back when i used to never sleep until the end of a week (2-3 hours every night until Sat.) then sleep for 16+ hours one day. i'd wake up and not know if it was night or day, or which day of the week. very annoying.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Anyone else ever do this? This is big #3 for me now, lifetime. And this one didn't even involve extreme amounts of alcohol!!

i'm sorry murbot, but there is no excuse for this kind of behavior. why wasn't there extreme death-defying amounts of alcohol involved on a saturday night? meh. i dont think i even want to hear the answer. for shame.

on a more personal note: this has happened to me on more than one occassion in college. but, my wife wasn't around to tell me. i had to realize by walking across campus and into some advanced wizadry class before i realized that i'd woken, shower'd, dress'd and sojourn'd half across the campus on the rawng dae. walking back i'd debate, then forget about, registering for advanced wizadry.

waking up this morning was phyn. the clock said "9:00", digital style. i think "aw shit, i must've slept through the entire day," and worse yet, "through The Simpsons?." i debate in my head over the possibility of it being 9 in the morning, but i couldn't have possibly slept only 3 hours on a full stomach. and it was unlikely that i'd slept 27hrs, as i haven't done that in a long time (atleast, not that i remember...?). the deciding factor, i realized, was that i was still drunk; and the day got better.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    This happens to me all the time. Don't admonish yourself. I frequently nap in afternoons and wake at ~6-7PM and think it's morning.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

the deciding factor, i realized, was that i was still drunk; and the day got better.

That works, unless you're still drunk on PBR & High Life.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    spotcatbugspotcatbug Posts: 195member
    Very odd. I had the same feeling, this very morning, that today was Monday. Lucky for me, I realized my error before I got out of bed, showered and dressed.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Funny. Its always the other way round for me. I wake up at 8 and think "Thank the forces of nature its saturday", turn around and sleep for a couple of hours. Its not until around 5 pm I discover it was a work day.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Well, Mur, if it makes you feel any better....I was supposed to go to our local Renaissance Festival on Saturday with a girlfriend of mine (note that that's a lowercase 'g' for the time being) and my Mother. Woke up on Saturday and it's raining like a stuck pig. No RenFest.

By 11am it's overcast, but dry.

I go over and talk to our neighbors and help them take down an old basketball goal to keep the neighborhood kids from using it when nobody's home (the neighbors don't use it anymore and it was 20 years old). So I help them....then I figure that maybe I'll tackle the big project of burying a pond liner in the frontyard in front of the washroom that tends to flood in heavy rains.

Four or five hours later I'm COVERED in dirt and filth (and I mean COVERED), I feel totally wiped out and I smell like a goat (somebody has to).

I thought that I had a day of singing and drinking ahead of me, only to find myself up to my eyes in dirt. Tough break to the max.

The best part? It's done, finished, complete.

The betterer part? I went to the RenFest by myself today and had about 3 pints of Guinness and sang to my heart's content.

La, la, la frickin' la.

ha.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    If this make you feel any better I went into work tonight. Good thing too because I may have stomped out a fire that would have smoldered all night.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Well if it makes any of you feel better my weekend consisted of...

laying about 300 sq ft of vinyl squares...

cleaning out an oven that was a) not self cleaning and b) nasty as heck...

spackling and cleaning the walls of a 1700 sq ft house...

taking the color panel out of a dishwasher and painting it white....

etc....

I'll probably start painting today...after work...

Nick
  • Reply 12 of 15
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Funny. Its always the other way round for me. I wake up at 8 and think "Thank the forces of nature its saturday", turn around and sleep for a couple of hours. Its not until around 5 pm I discover it was a work day.

• Reply 13 of 15
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Yeah, nice post Anders. ha ha

Sounds like I got off easy on the work this weekend! Still lots ahead of me though, landscaping the new house from scratch. Pouring a concrete curb for the fence this week, then building the fence, laying the Unistone driveway and walk, installing irrigation, building my daughter a little swingset/slide, trees, sod... jesus man, I'm getting tired just thinking about it...

• Reply 14 of 15
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

If this make you feel any better I went into work tonight. Good thing too because I may have stomped out a fire that would have smoldered all night.

My hero.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    Actually, long ago (and far away), when I first got out of college and was trying to pay of my bills, I had two jobs. One job was M-F, 10:30 am to 7:00 pm; the other was Sat and Sun. 11:00 am to dusk (about 7 pm). There was more than one morning I woke up, completely uncertain which day it was and in a panic about which job I was supposed to go to. Yeah, sometimes alcohol was involved but not always.

Later I was again working two jobs, but both during the week (8-5 then 5:30-9). I got home from my second job, about 9 pm, maybe 9:30, and my key wouldn't work in the lock to my apartment. And yes, I had paid my rent. I called security and stood around fuming for a good thirty minutes and called two or three times before he finally showed up, checked my id and let me in. THEN I had to go in late to work the next day waiting for the manager to come in so I could get a new key. Seems the master lock didn't work on my apartment (although the lock hadn't changed since I moved in) so they had changed the lock. This dingbat in the office was supposed to leave a note on my door so I could come by her apartment and get my new key, but she "forgot." I still fume when I think about that.