www.puretunes.com

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
have you guys heard about www.puretunes.com ?

It's a Spanish site which apparently takes advantage of some kind of loophole in the Spanish intellectual property legislation to make songs by major artists available for download without the approval of the major record labels, for a fee (starting at $3.99 for a no-limit 8-hour download slot).

The music is in DRM-free MP3 format.

It started a couple of weeks ago, and, obviously, is stirring a controversy, although i haven't seen much about them in the news since their inception. If they can stay in business for any period of time, it would be an amazing challenge to the music industry as a whole, from the majors to iTMS.

link: http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=2777975

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cygsid

without the approval of the major record labels

I smell a very large law suit happening...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    www.emusic.com seems like a better alternative.... DRM-free mp3s, pay by the month... $45 for 3 months unlimited, plus artist actually MAKE MONEY from the service...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    another kick in the crotch to all the hard work the creative industry has been trying to make money in...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    cygsidcygsid Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

another kick in the crotch to all the hard work the creative industry has been trying to make money in...

they claim to be giving some royalties to the artists on each song sold.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Man, WTF is it with all the RIAA/MPAA/BSA lusers who have started hanging out at these boards!? I know Macs are popular amongst the music industry (that is, slave trade), but surely they're not this popular...

Barto
  • Reply 6 of 9
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

www.emusic.com seems like a better alternative.... DRM-free mp3s, pay by the month... $45 for 3 months unlimited, plus artist actually MAKE MONEY from the service...

Divide 6000 downloads by $45. Yeah, each artist might make a penny some day.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

creative industry?........that's a good one, i'm going to write that one down for when i need a good laugh....
  • Reply 8 of 9
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    old news.

The old thread actually had someone who used the service, and concluded it sucked.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    jegrantjegrant Posts: 45member
    Hey, forget Puretunes.com - try the Russian site AllOfMp3.com - it's great. You can pick MP3, OGG, etc. however they use a different AAC encoder that won't play in QuickTime, so I don't suggest Mac users download in that format. Basically, their system will encode in semi-real-time the album of your choice to the format of your choice. They don't always have this "Online Encode" feature available, but when they don't, the one format given is usually MP3.

They do charge, about 1 cent per megabyte, making most CDs, depending on your choice of bitrate, somewhere between $0.60 and $1.20. That is much more in line with my budget, personally. BTW their system works well with Safari, but after you login, sometimes it helps to go back to the homepage and reload it, if you aren't automatically sent there.

Note the above post is intended for entertainment purposes only and should not be intepreted as factual guaranteed advice.