QuickTime 6.3 & 3GPP

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I was wondering what devices, if any, Support quicktimes 3GPP format. I am curious because I noticed the 3gpp format highly compresses files. And I was thinking if there was a PDA that supports this format, I would love to watch movie trailers, etc. on the pda.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I think it is mostly used for phones, but if phones could process the files, I'm sure PDA's could with the right software.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Does anyone have a list of phones that support 3GPP. I wish I had gotten a phone that supported iSync, but I don't think any Sprint phones do.

I heard that the WWDC keynote was going to be streamed with 3GPP. Is there any truth in this?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Does anyone have a list of phones that support 3GPP. I wish I had gotten a phone that supported iSync, but I don't think any Sprint phones do.

I heard that the WWDC keynote was going to be streamed with 3GPP. Is there any truth in this?

http://www.apple.com/isync/devices.html
  • Reply 4 of 4
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    3GPP is not a format in itself, it is more a collection of standards and specifications for use in 3rd generation mobile infrstructure. They define it as:
    Quote:

The original scope of 3GPP was to produce globally applicable Technical Specifications and Technical Reports for a 3rd Generation Mobile System...

Not surprisingly a number of these specifications relate to audio/video coding for use in mobile phones, which is what the 3GPP component for QuickTime adds support for.

Quote:

Does anyone have a list of phones that support 3GPP

My T68i supports some of it. For example voice recordings are stored as AMR files, which put simply is a variable bitrate codec designed for speech alone. Since many of the audio codecs are targeted specifically at speech they achieve very high compression but are not suitable for anything other than speech (it sounds terrible).

Quote:

I'm sure PDA's could with the right software.

This is highly unlikely to almost impossible on basic PDA's, maybe possible on more powerful PocketPC types. This is because most of the codecs are very CPU intensive, they are able to work on mobile phones because they are implemented in powerful DSP chips, something a PDA does not have access to.

Quote:

No idea if its true or not but if it were done I would imagine it would supplement the (now) standard MPEG-4 streams. A 3GPP based stream would primarily exist to demo Apple's new 3GPP support and in theory allow 3rd gen. video phones to watch the stream live.

I hope that clears some things up. The 3GPP homepage is at http://www.3gpp.org/ if you are interested in additional reading (and downloading of the specifications if you are so inclined).

Wesley