iTunes Music Store downloads fall by half..

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
According to a pretty large article in todays New York Post business section, downloads at Apple's iTunes Music Store have fallen to about 500,000 per week since the first week the Music Store opened.

It goes on to say that even though 500,000 downloads a week sounds like a lot, Apple was hoping for between 1-2 million downloads a week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by coolmac

It goes on to say that even though 500,000 downloads a week sounds like a lot, Apple was hoping for between 1-2 million downloads a week.

Hmm, record companies said they expected 1 million downloads a month.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Well, how many Records have they got? 200,000 or so? not enough yet, also, this is only in the US...

When they open the store to Mac users around the globe, and get a bigger database, i.e. a couple of million songs or so, then it'll really take off.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

If Apple had full international support and more indie and out-of-print material, they'd easily make a million a month.

Um, they sell TWO million a month now.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    ummmmm....a link is always nice.

from everything i've read and heard the drop off was expected to be greater than it was.

as to the article, it reads like the author has a chip on his sholder. and as to the music "exectutive" who says "apple doesn't even put out any press releases anymore", well nobody pays attention to companies that spit out press releases like chewing gum.

i've only met few music "executives" who weren't idiots.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    oh, i forgot to say....

"it's the post for crissakes!"
  • Reply 6 of 7
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Objective Journalism at its finest.

Wow what a lot of flying numbers. A million here, five hundred thousand there. On the bright side, while we are talking songs, we are also talking dollars. A million dollars here, five hundred thousand dollars there. Equally bright, my, look at all the free publicity!! (Backhanded some of it may be...)

If the reporter never used iTMS but wrote about it extensively, is that the same sort of ethical breach Jayson Blair committed over at the Times?? Hm....

Screed