Pearl Jam snubs epic: It's evolution baby!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
http://www.msnbc.com/news/921872.asp?0cv=CB20&cp1=1

This could definitely pave the way for cheaper music. I for one am definitely looking forward to see how this pans out. Pearl Jam has always been my favorite band, not only for their great music, but also for the contributions they make, and the fact that they publicly speak out against issues where most are mum(for instance: ticketmasters sir charge *cough*rape*cough* on concert tickets).

They've always promoted bootlegging of their music, which is great, and to those who couldn't get the bootlegs they made it easier by providing the bootlegs to the public themselves.

Now that there's no middle man, this could mean a lower price for music and still allow the artist to make a profit to continue his/her work.

I also see Pearl Jam offering a lot of free music, but not everything. The only thing that saddens me is that there won't be anymore cool pearl jam cases and artwork that usually comes with their cd's.

Also if this works out, it's going to force the Record labels to be competitive, or it's going to all-together force them into extinction. Either way this is a great move and paves the way for great things to come.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Well, I can't say I'm surprised. When I heard that Sony (owner of Epic) would be instituting copy protection on all their CD's, I thought that I had bought my last PJ album with Riot Act. But I hoped that they would do something about it. Now they have. Good for them. They don't need a record company. They've got the iTMS.

Seriously. Have you seen the PJ selection in the iTMS? Nearly all of their 72 'bootleg' CDs from their last tour. This is good news. Go Eddie and Co.!

And to all those who say that they aren't relevant anymore...

edit: here's that article on Sony copy protection I was talking about.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Well, I can't say I'm surprised. When I heard that Sony (owner of Epic) would be instituting copy protection on all their CD's, I thought that I had bought my last PJ album with Riot Act. But I hoped that they would do something about it. Now they have. Good for them. They don't need a record company. They've got the iTMS.

Seriously. Have you seen the PJ selection in the iTMS? Nearly all of their 72 'bootleg' CDs from their last tour. This is good news. Go Eddie and Co.!

And to all those who say that they aren't relevant anymore...

edit: here's that article on Sony copy protection I was talking about.

along those lines, here have been rumors that Pearl Jam is in negotiations with a major "internet music distributor" for downloading of the shows.

I first started seeing these rumors pop up after the iTMS was unveiled.

It would be very cool if Pearl jam and Apple began posting the shows the next day on the iTMS
  • Reply 3 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

along those lines, here have been rumors that Pearl Jam is in negotiations with a major "internet music distributor" for downloading of the shows.

I first started seeing these rumors pop up after the iTMS was unveiled.

It would be very cool if Pearl jam and Apple began posting the shows the next day on the iTMS

That would be absolutely kick ass. Have you had a look at their selection of PJ's stuff? 89 albums. That's gotta be the most at the store. Too bad most of them are buy the song only. I'd love to get one of those Seattle shows.

If they went to releasing albums through the music store... Wow. That would make Apple an extremely powerful player on the music scene.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

That would be absolutely kick ass. Have you had a look at their selection of PJ's stuff? 89 albums. That's gotta be the most at the store. Too bad most of them are buy the song only. I'd love to get one of those Seattle shows.

If they went to releasing albums through the music store... Wow. That would make Apple an extremely powerful player on the music scene.

the selection keeps getting better.... surprisingly Apple has actually been adding on to the existing partial albums and filling them in every week. I thought once they were up as partial they'd stay that way.

Apple even has some of the 2003 boots and those arent even in stores.

Very nice
  • Reply 5 of 5
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    I hope they pull this off. It would give a model to other bands on how to do this successfully, and perhaps pull the big labels to their knees on how they treat artists and fans. Screw RIAA! They brought the lagging record sales down on themselves, 1st with price gouging, 2nd with mediocre talent and then with bringing attention to P2P. If they would've left Napster alone P2P wouldn't be as big as it is, and they might have had a few more years of life. Ha ha, the joke is on them, now they have to rethink how to business.