Best solution for bloated Mail?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i use apples mail and the app (and my ibook) is slowing to a crawl because of the number of mails in my various mailboxes (around 7000 mails in about 30 mailboxes).

i hate the idea of deleting any as they are a papertrail for any project that i am/was/will/may be working on.

how do people manage mail?

it seems that if there was an compress/archive system, it would be great as i know that wouldn't lose any data.

ps: wasn't sure if this belonged in SW or GB.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Add more RAM. Mail probably doesn't have enough RAM to put the messages there, so it stores them on the HDD, and has to retrieve them every time, which gets slow.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    move and don't tell the post office.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    backup, delete, move on. its time to let go...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    gnandagnanda Posts: 14member
    why doesnt Apple make its own desktop publishing software????????

does quark and apple have a good or bad relationship?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Apple makes some great pieces of software. Mail isn't one of them.

I transferred from Entourage (OS 9), where I don't recall losing any mail in the two years or so I used it. Last week, I lost my whole production folder just before going to press.

Yes I backup regularly, but that's not the point.

Mail's database seems a bit clunky at times. There's no trail to follow, so when you pull up a message you can't access the reply you sent as in Entourage.

And to cap it off, my signature keeps defaulting to the bottom of the page, not where the cursor is. I have to go down to cut and paste everytime, which gets annoying after the first hundred times or so.

Basically, I'm hoping for an upgrade during WWDC or I think I'll be forced to go back to Entourage X.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    you can drag and drop a mail folder to a hard drive, or a cd and store it.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    lungarettalungaretta Posts: 194member
    thanks for your comments guys.

probably a ram increase would help the situation (you can never have too much) but i can only wish that compress/archive from within the application itself would be a feature in the next version.

imagine an option in mail prefs

"archive and compress mail older than"

<drop down menu>

1 day

1 week

1 month

never

mail does the tidying up for you

oh well, maybe one day...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    If you're willing to spent money, Powermail (http://ctmdev.com) whips the ass of Mail in terms of speed and flexibility. It does have a "compress folder" option. I have over 10,000 messages in my database with nary a hiccup, and I can use the same database (and app) in OS X and OS 9 with no problems.