new rumours about 970 Powermac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The powerpage http://www.powerpage.org refers to an article on Macwhispers. According to the article: : :

- The IBM PPC 970 chips are now actually in volume production for only two specific end uses: IBM's own servers, and for Apple Computer.

- The plant contracted for assembly of the new Power Mac is now actually manufacturing production Power Macs with single PPC 970 processors.

- The plant contracted for assembly of the new 15.4-inch Powerbook has just now begun manufacturing production Powerbooks with the PPC 970 processor.

- The new Power Mac has a sister model with a 2-processor motherboard that is not yet in actual production, but that could be put into production at any time.

- The new Power Mac has a new case design with "metallic look plastics," and a front panel "mostly made with the same anodized aluminum surface" as the newest Powerbooks.

- The new Power Mac retains "handles," though not in the same form as the current design.

The quote of a quote of a quote, but sounds great to me...

Jo

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    sweet, lets hope it's true
  • Reply 2 of 15
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by grueni

The powerpage http://www.powerpage.org refers to an article on Macwhispers. According to the article:

No need to read any further. MacWhispers wrote that - even MOSR has a better track record.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Hey, a thread about the 970! I haven't heard anything about that!

Since this thread probably won't get locked as it should, here's the latest from Macworld UK

"G5 could be two weeks away"

Speculation is mounting that Apple could unveil new Power Macs at its Worldwide Developers Conference, which starts on 23 June.

A MacUser.co.uk source reports that WWDC will be the 'biggest ever' and will feature significant hardware announcements, while according to eWeek, Apple 'is nearing the release of desktop systems featuring IBM's 64-bit PowerPC 970 chip'.

Apple has already confirmed that Mac OS X 10.3 - codenamed Panther - will be previewed for the first time at WWDC. Panther will be the first version of Mac OS X capable of exploiting the 64-bit capabilities of the PowerPC 970 chips.

eWeek suggests that in fact the new Power Macs - expected to be tagged as G5s - will beat OS X 10.3 to market and that in the interim a 'special' build of 10.2 - Smeagol- will be released to bridge the gap.

Adding spice to the mix, Apple lawyers recently forced one Mac rumour Web site to remove a story predicting G5s at WWDC.

What is certain is that with the imminent release of QuarkXPress for OS X and the decision by Adobe to discontinue the Classic version of Photoshop, all but one of the elements that can persuade pro Mac suers to switch wholesale to OS X are in place. The missing element is a Power Mac range powerful enough to justify the expenditure for not just the computers, but across the board software upgrades."
  • Reply 4 of 15
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    Macworld UK and MacUser... Meh.

All they do is cruise the rumour sites and regurgitate the same rubbish, only they have audacity charge for it...
  • Reply 5 of 15
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    I've never seen the same rumors reported as widespread as this.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marcus

Macworld UK and MacUser... Meh.

All they do is cruise the rumour sites and regurgitate the same rubbish, only they have audacity charge for it...

I don't know, Macworld UK has been very wary of endorsing rumors in the past and has a good track record when doing it. I think their support of the "Christmas on June 23rd" rumor is a big deal.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

"Iraq has blah blah stockpiled WoMD"
  • Reply 8 of 15
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

"Iraq has blah blah stockpiled WoMD"

8)
  • Reply 9 of 15
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    good one, curious.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

i think that is a good observation.

Rumors are all very similar and more or less corroborate others as opposed the usual 'spray and pray' pre-event rumors.

Details? No.

General gist? I think so.

The 970 AlBook is the anomaly... but, boy it would be nice if true!

Z
  • Reply 11 of 15
    According to Mac Rumors, Mac Scooby Doo has received a C&D from Apple.

"MacBidouille is the latest site which has been approached by Apple Legal to remove certain information on their website.

English Translation by ZeeOwl:

We have, once again, recieved an eMail from Apple's lawyers requesting that we pull certain news items published on the site.

The message was fairly vague on exactly what news should be pulled, so we complied on the items which we felt were being targeted. Don't bother asking us which ones, since we aren't supposed to talk about it (thank-you for not asking us by eMail, we will not reply!!). "

ZeeOwl, rocks BTW. Where was this guy when we needed him the last two years?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    and once again (sing along if you know the words by now)

Apple Legal annoints the rumours with C&D "Confirmed!" water
  • Reply 13 of 15
    nitridenitride Posts: 100member
    As to your WoMD comment, how original.

I guess Clinton, the British, the UN, Germany and France were all lying too so they could help Bush (years before he was even planning on running for office).

Before the war everone was DEMANDING to let the inspectors have more and more time. And now we have worked a few months and covered about 1/3 of the KNOWN sites, uncovered several heavily modified trucks with chemical processing equipment and countless barrels of pesticides that are chemically similar to nerve agents (they in fact *are* nerve agents) and thousands of chem/bio protection suits.

I guess the goat farmers putting milk in radioactive material canisters are laughing at us right?

Yeah, *what* WoMD. I mean, you don't need anthrax to kill hundreds of children, hell you can just dig a ditch and THROW THEM IN with their toys and cover em up much cheaper.

And if you don't do that you can just throw them in PRISON to influence their parents to "vote" in the next one-man election for President.

And hey its not like that big airliner fuselage was being used for terrorist training, it was part of an amusement park to be called "Saddam's Happy Fun Park" right?

Puh-leaze. Why don'y *you* go to Iran if you are so in love with Islamic Dictatorships with plans to build nuclear bombs to rid the world of the evil J-E-W-S.

Maybe we can get Bill Clinton to stop the madness, I mean he got the Irsih Protestants and Catholics to kiss and make up, took care of Al Queda after the FIRST WTC bombing, the African Embassy bombings and the USS Coloe bombing, got Arafat and Isreal to agree to a peace accords at Oslo and prevented North Korea from developing nuclear weaopons and ICBM technologies in exchange for campaign contributions.

Oh wait a minute... EVERY SINGLE "milestone" of that lying sexual predator hillbilly's presidency unraveled and was shown to be a complete SHAM once he left office (with a trail of unethical and immoral presidential pardons for the highest bidder coordinated by his wife who was just SHOCKED to learn her husband probed an overweight intern, just SHOCKED!).

Way to go Bill! Idiots.

I guess if you are a 10 year old Cuban boy who was found floating on an inner tube in the ocean by yourself because your mother drowned/got attacked by sharks you are such a serious national security threat the Feds will kick in the door of an American citizens house and drag the little Communist out and force him to go back to the only Communist country in the western hemisphere as a political ploy.

And hey if you are god-fearing Texans who are so paranoid the government is out to get you that you stockpile weapons, which are legal to own, the Attorney General she-beast will surround your "compound" and strafe your children and eventually set a fire that kills everyone and not get kicked out of office or accused of taking away anyones constitutionally *protected* rights like property ownership or the right to keep and bear arms and practice any religion you see fit.

But if you are trying to get rid of illegal aliens in this country who could very well BE terrorists or helping terrorists who ALREADY killed nearly 3,000 human beings who did nothing more than get on a plane or go to work one day you are a Nazi who is shredding the constitution and taking away everyone's rights (to be a terrorist and kill people and blow up buildings I guess?).

And if you are a celebrity who gets on any TV show they want to spout off about how they are having their "dissent crushed" you have to resort to taking out a full page ad in a prestigious newspaper to carry your many-thousand word diatribe about how you were right and the people who took out a despot dictator who BURIED CHILDREN ALIVE and aided the terrorists who KILLED nearly 3,000 and destroyed 16 acres of real estate in NY and damaged the country's military civilian headquarters are wrong.

Welcome to America, like it or LEAVE IT.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    please take it to AO...

thank you

g
  • Reply 15 of 15
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    L CKED!