Will Apple be the next big monopoly?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As it stands now, if you want that alternative(to the PC world) then you really get hte whole package, and apple's software really make the competition look bad. I guess, they aren't as ruthless as MS has been, but maybe they are just smarter. I don't know, it seems like every app you could need is slowly being made by apple.(that is, slowly they are beginning to put out all sorts of apps) Now, a lot of groups make a lot of apps and don't have monopolies. But Apple's software is generally very very good, and comes with all their computers(discouraging users from going out and getting 3rd party stuff) Seems like This could be the case in the future.

I don't know, just looking at the way apple is setting themselves up, they are giving you the whole package and making it so that you don't need any other company.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Apple already is a Monopoly. But since Monopolies are legal that's not a problem. What is illegal is the "abuse" of monopoly status ie Microsoft. Apple will need to create software to cover vital gaps in it's line until 3rd party ISVs

start coming back to the Platform.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Apple already is a Monopoly.

Exactly. They squeeze every penny out of you just like Microsoft. The main difference between the two is that Apple makes quality products from both usability and aesthetics points of view.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

Exactly. They squeeze every penny out of you just like Microsoft. The main difference between the two is that Apple makes quality products from both usability and aesthetics points of view.

Actually I think the difference is that Apple mildly abuses their power, while Microsoft blatantly and unashamedly abuses their power.

Well, I guess you're right, too-- Apple's stuff looks and works better.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Apple has no power. People switch every day.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Apple is most certainly NOT a monopoly, there are thousands of computer makers in the world, and plenty of people on macs will be perfectly satisfied to move to a windows box, and some even to a linux box (small small group). Apple is a closed platform, but that isn't a monopoly at all, unless you say thay have a monopoly on "macs" which is like saying GM has a monopoly on Pontiac Sunfires, pointless.

This is part of an overall thought process that assumes that Apple and the mac are somehow safe from wintelon competition because they're a totally different market. They aren't, and the continuing saga of decreasing marketshare over the years proves it quite conclusively.

A closed system that does the same job as other open systems is not a monopoly, it's just an alternative system. As scott points out, "Apple has no power, people switch every day."

Do you get it? If we each make a competing product, just because mine and yours are not interoperable does not give each of us a monopoly on our own product? Well duh! In the case of M$, you notice "monopoly" -- though even there alternatives did exist -- when the power is so far beyond anyone else that it's not possible to compete when the company uses that position to agressively stifle the birth of competitors, leverages its power in a manner deemed unfair/illegal.

M$'s businesses are not "whole widget" businesses, they sell products to box makers (and consumers) and used their power to limit the adoption of competing OSes, browsers, and suites on those boxes. That's the abuse. Apple sells a box with their own OS/software, they do not stop people from selling competing boxes with alternative OS/software. They also allow 3rd party software, but the market being what it is, those developers take their risks as they see fit -- Premiere-FCP, Watson-Sherlock, etc etc...

The existance of macs does not stop anyone from making a competing platform of their own, it just stops people from using Apple's platform and technology, something Apple's entitled too in the same way I'm entitle to stop someone from plagerizing my work.

Sorry, rant over now, I've just heard this term "monopoly" misapplied one too many times I guess.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    Matsu is 100% correct. Apple has a monopoly on the Mac platform the same way that Ford has a monopoly on Mustangs.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Matsu, did you have that ready from the last time there was a Apple Monopoly thread?

He's right though. But from what your qeustion was asking, a monopoly in the tech field in general? I don't see it happening.