How accurate is Sound Check?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Has anyone else questioned how well Sound Check works? I feel find that songs are not all playing at the same level. Also, how can you reset it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by boba fett

Has anyone else questioned how well Sound Check works? I feel find that songs are not all playing at the same level. Also, how can you reset it?

I'm not sure it can ever achieve total equalization as how loud you percieve things isn't just a matter of decibels.

It's kind of like in typography were you have to make the capital A taller than the capital T so that they *look* the same height.

Also the 4.0.1 update, which you may be avoiding for file sharing reasons, fixes a bug in Sound Check that led to audibly fluctuating sound levels.

As for how to reset it, I don't know what you mean. If you turn it on and off in preferences you can hear the volume change a few seconds later. If you mean redo the importing step I don't think it needs to recompute the levels (though the uprgade to 4.0.1 did this)
  • Reply 2 of 3
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Note: I hear plenty of distortion with Sound Check enabled...and others do too.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I used to hear a small amount of distortion on certain tunes but haven't noticed anything since 4.0.1