i hate cybersquatters

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

i've wanted this particular domain for 5 or more years and this person never uses it. i emailed the owner once and she didn't want to sel

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    What domain? I wanted www.weed.com. They won't return my E-mails.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    how do you she's not planning something for it and all she is waiting for is funding? even it takes 7 years she may legitimately have plans for it.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Some sybersquatters try to predict popular web addresses and just put up ads and try to auction off the site to the highest bidder. When no one bids high enough, they just hog the space. There should be some kind of recall for these kinds of sites; they just make the web a harder place to navigate. Just my opinion. \
  • Reply 4 of 14
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    well i doubt she has anything planned for it

primalscream.com is what i want. Primal Scream is a UK rock band

according to whois, she's runs some kind of consulting firm
  • Reply 5 of 14
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    I know how you feel about people having particular web address not in use, so is like, why do they have them, arggg. All the names i would want are always taken.

However, I love when you mispell google, or other popular websites and you reach random ones saying that the world should be nuked. and typing in random urls, is vaguely interesting say at 4 in the morning.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    thank god when i wanted it no one already had alcimedes.com

thing is, i use it, just not always as a public web space, but more of a semi-private one.

i put stuff up there i want to show people etc, but i give them direct URL's to the stuff.

perhaps your squatter is in the same shoes.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

well i doubt she has anything planned for it

primalscream.com is what i want. Primal Scream is a UK rock band

according to whois, she's runs some kind of consulting firm

Get around it.

Why don't you register

Primal-Scream

or Primalscreams

or Primalscreamrocks..?

You get the picture ...\

Ebby....Same goes for Weed..why not Weeed ?

That would show how fried yo brainz really is !
  • Reply 8 of 14
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I'm conflicted about it. I'm not sure a url is "property" to be owned. Then again when a "little guy" has the host name I think they should get all they can for it. But I don't like the idea that people snap things up for the sole purpose of selling "nothing" for something.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i've been sitting on prime domain real estate for the past few years, but haven't had the resources to start up the company i want tied to the name. but i am glad i got it when i did, because no less than a few months afterwards, someone emailed me wanting to buy. but no sale -- i actually want to use it someday.

i think the bigger problem you and everyone else have isn't with these squatters, but the insane value that was placed initially on the ".com" name. it's still so stuck in our heads that the internic can release all sorts of new suffixes, but no one wants them if they can just get the ".com" and it didn't help that for the longest time, browsers just tacked on the ".com" by default, helping those who registered those domains automatically (now, at least on the pc side, you just get search results).
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

Get around it.

Why don't you register

Primal-Scream

or Primalscreams

or Primalscreamrocks..?

You get the picture ...\

Ebby....Same goes for Weed..why not Weeed ?

That would show how fried yo brainz really is !

well i already have theprimalscream.com but i'd prefer primalscream.com

there is hope,i just asked a guy about another domain i wanted and i bought it from him for $100

on the other hand i want this other domain which i don't understand the point of. the guy just has it redirect to ebay auctions, what a waste
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i've been sitting on prime domain real estate for the past few years, but haven't had the resources to start up the company i want tied to the name. but i am glad i got it when i did, because no less than a few months afterwards, someone emailed me wanting to buy. but no sale -- i actually want to use it someday.

i think the bigger problem you and everyone else have isn't with these squatters, but the insane value that was placed initially on the ".com" name. it's still so stuck in our heads that the internic can release all sorts of new suffixes, but no one wants them if they can just get the ".com" and it didn't help that for the longest time, browsers just tacked on the ".com" by default, helping those who registered those domains automatically (now, at least on the pc side, you just get search results).

no one want the other suffixes because they are bad. i mean .tv? i don't understand. i guess .info isn't bad
  • Reply 12 of 14
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

no one want the other suffixes because they are bad. i mean .tv? i don't understand. i guess .info isn't bad

Well, in my own country, and I suspect in many countries outside of the US, there has been a move away from the .com suffix (for obvious reasons, but probably for less obvious ones as well - some sociology student might have a golden paper here) to national suffixes. Right now, if I'd be looking for a domain for myself or for someone I'm working for, I'd look at the respective .be domain name first, and then, if that is not available, the .com. My "own domain" is .be, and is rather short on the whole, two letters suffix, four letters for the actual name = 6 letters: rather sleek, wouldn't you agree?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    maybe the band primal scream has been in email contact with her as well and she's negotiating a price with them...

you could already be outbid.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

actually my point was that the internic handled the entire "domain registration" thing about as hapahzardly as possible in the beginning.

when anyone could get a .com domain without being, you know, a COMmercial website, suddenly you had the .com gold rush of 1998-1999. suddenly, everyone (including myself) saw this as a chance for reserving it for the future, even if they had no plan in place. if they (the internic, among others) had just done a few simple things, like force registration with your county clerk's office as a company before receiving approval for a .com name, they could have averted this entire situation. instead, you have tons of people who've reserved .com's for collections of their baby pictures or honorary fan sites for things and people they like. totally ridiculous.

instead, they got bots and people with nothing better to do and company's with tons of money buying up every word in the english language, followed by .com. a process which, ironically, has made that virtual real-estate even MORE valuable, as it's now so difficult to find a .com that hasn't already been swept up. i mean, this isn't the only flawed internet convention, but it's up there...

and as i mentioned before, the browser wars made matters worse, when they implicitly acknowledged the importance of the ".com" by automagically tacking it onto any word entered into an address bar, effectively nuking any importance that might be associated with other domains, like, at the time, .org, .net, etc.

ah well, life ain't fair, i guess.