How about that?! (Yankees No-Hit by 6 Pitchers)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Got home just in time to see the final inning. My dad called ,me in and said they had a no hitter going.

Unfreakingbelievable. 6 pitcher no-hitter.

As big of a yankee fan I am, I was rooting for the astros that last inning. I find it pretty funny.

Yankees are falling apart

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Couldn't happen to a better team.

I'd say I was happy for the Astros, but I absolutely despise every facet of Houston.

No-nos are fun, anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

Got home just in time to see the final inning. My dad called ,me in and said they had a no hitter going.

Unfreakingbelievable. 6 pitcher no-hitter.

As big of a yankee fan I am, I was rooting for the astros that last inning. I find it pretty funny.

What happened to Roy Oswalt to make him leave after 1 inning?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

What happened to Roy Oswalt to make him leave after 1 inning?

Apparently he strained his groin. Ouch.

I also read that the Yankees left bottles of champagne at the lockers for each of the 6 pitchers involved in the no-no. I'm definitely not a Yankees fan, but that is probably the classiest thing I've heard of in a while. Kudos to them.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Did you hear that? That was the sound of the vein in George Steinbrenner's head exploding .

Red Sox smoke the Cards 13-1, back up by 1/2 game.

Should be an entertaining second half .
  • Reply 5 of 18
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ironchef82

Apparently he strained his groin. Ouch.

I also read that the Yankees left bottles of champagne at the lockers for each of the 6 pitchers involved in the no-no. I'm definitely not a Yankees fan, but that is probably the classiest thing I've heard of in a while. Kudos to them.

as much as they are hated, the Yankees ARE usually a classy team.

Class doesnt help when you suck though :-)
  • Reply 6 of 18
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

as much as they are hated, the Yankees ARE usually a classy team.

Class doesnt help when you suck though :-)

I saw Torre interviewed after the game on ESPN. It was HILARIOUS. We suck. We suck. We suck. No excuses. We suck.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

I saw Torre interviewed after the game on ESPN. It was HILARIOUS. We suck. We suck. We suck. No excuses. We suck.

he's been frighteningly blunt recently. Definitely not himself, I think this is really getting to him.

The other day after they released Acevedo, they interviewed him, and he said something like, "It's always hard to release a guy, even if they have no talent at all"

lol. I got a good laugh
  • Reply 8 of 18
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I wonder who's going to be Steinbrenner's next scapegoat...I watched the last 3 outs of the game and it was really weird to see the entire stadium giving the Astros a standing ovation.

The same thing happened during today's Giants game. The Chi Sox fans cheered a first inning grand slam...and later Bonds's homer.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Torre's in deep trouble.

Toronto is right on their heels and the Red Sox are in first. Yes, it's close. But can you imagine what would happen if the New York Yankees were in 3rd place?

Plus, the Yankees have one more game to play against Houston and then 3 games against the Cardinals. Those aren't exactly the easiest teams to beat.

Also, when did the Yankees bring back Ruben Sierra? I thought that Joe Torre hated the guy! Plus, cutting Acevedo because he threw one bad pitch? They seem to have hit the panic button, much like the Red Sox did in trading Shea Hillenbrand.

It's still early, but things are looking strange this season.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

They seem to have hit the panic button, much like the Red Sox did in trading Shea Hillenbrand.

The jury should still be out on the Shea for Kim deal. Kim is a real talent. I think once he settles down he'll more than justify himself.

Theo Epstein traded Shea for 3 reasons. 1. He had a high value. He's a solid player who got off to a good start. He's a notorious first half hitter, though. 2. The Sox had a lot of depth at the positions he played. He was, however, defensively probably the best first baseman we had this year. 3. This is why Shea was on the trading block almost from day one of the Epstein era. His OBP (on-base percentage) sucks. This is a very big deal with Theo. He likes hitters who get on base, who are patient and will take pitchers deep into the count. Look at the lifetime stats of the new guys he brought aboard this season: Todd Walker (.292, .349 OBP), Jeremy Giambi (.269, .381 OBP), Bill Mueller (.286, .370 OBP), David Ortiz (.266, .348 OBP), and Damian Jackson (.245, .328 OBP). Every one of them has a higher OBP than does Shea (.317 OBP). Shea's OBP is up significantly this year to .335 but with his batting average that should be much higher.

This year's OBP's for Walker .368, Mueller .441, Ortiz .354, Millar .346... See a pattern? Every one of them has become a fan favorite too. Giambi has slipped to .333 and Jackson is bringing up the rear (among the newcomers) with .310. By the way Manny's OBP is .403.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

Torre's in deep trouble.

Toronto is right on their heels and the Red Sox are in first. Yes, it's close. But can you imagine what would happen if the New York Yankees were in 3rd place?

Plus, the Yankees have one more game to play against Houston and then 3 games against the Cardinals. Those aren't exactly the easiest teams to beat.

Also, when did the Yankees bring back Ruben Sierra? I thought that Joe Torre hated the guy! Plus, cutting Acevedo because he threw one bad pitch? They seem to have hit the panic button, much like the Red Sox did in trading Shea Hillenbrand.

It's still early, but things are looking strange this season.

1.) Steinbrenner brought Sierra back last week in what many believe to just be Steinbrenner showing Torre that he's in control now or something

2.) Acevedo performed horribly in his last couple of outings. They should have never taken him in the first place.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    Hahha, I gotta celebrate that one. The rich and corrupt Yankees spanked by our friends the Astros!

I wish the Astros would go back to playing in the Astrodome. Right now they play in Enron field.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Acevedo performed horribly in his last couple of outings. They should have never taken him in the first place.

Heck, with the state of pitching right now in the AL East, I think just about anyone would want him!

Oh, and if the Yankees pick up Urbina, I will be in stitches laughing. Maybe they should look at John Wasdin at the same time.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    _ alliance __ alliance _ Posts: 2,070member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Couldn't happen to a better team.

I'd say I was happy for the Astros, but I absolutely despise every facet of Houston.

No-nos are fun, anyway.

living in houston, this game really livened up this city. great game all around, although i'm not surprised by the number of pitchers used, even though oswalt had to leave so early. jimy williams is perhaps the worst manager in the game. he uses 6-8 pitchers EVERY GAME, regardless of the situation. it's almost as if he has to use every bench player and every pitcher in the bullpen everyday. why???? they're doing great now, but in a couple months, noones gonna be left standing...

oh, and i hate this city too.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

Hahha, I gotta celebrate that one. The rich and corrupt Yankees spanked by our friends the Astros!

I wish the Astros would go back to playing in the Astrodome. Right now they play in Enron field.

it's pronounced "ten-run field." or...now minute maid field...aka the juice box. and i'm sorry, but the dome sucked...
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

that interview kind of upsetted me. he basically had no answer as to how this happened. how about this one joe? YOU WERE OUTPITCHED BY ONE OF THE BEST BULLPENS IN BASEBALL. stop bitching...
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

jimy williams is perhaps the worst manager in the game. he uses 6-8 pitchers EVERY GAME, regardless of the situation

Same problem we had with him in Boston. Jimy OVERMANAGES.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Same problem we had with him in Boston. Jimy OVERMANAGES.

YES!!! i see this guy manage every day and i cant believe how stupid he is. he could probably get away w/ it in the american league, but in the NL, we do things different. i have yet to see him make a double-switch. i dont even think he knows what it means. he just sticks in another pitcher, and when the pitcher comes to bat up the next inning, we just throw a pinch hitter in and repeat the process every inning. he has no strategy. we get every guy on our bench in almost every day--i am not exagerating here. yes, it keeps our guys fresh, but for the love of a God, what happens if we have an extra inning game?!?!?! bah. we have a great team, but have lost more than a couple games this season because of that incompetent moron.