Quake 3 Mod Need Help

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Can anyone help me i downloaded the matrix mod for Quake 3 but it doesn't load any of the maps....the mod loads ok....in the menu but the maps when i go to load them go back to the menu...i'm using 1.32 of quake 3...i'm in mac os x 10.2.6....do you know what is making it go back to the menu when ever i try to load one of the matrix maps?

Hope you can help......i did what the read me says to do.

The Matrix Mod is here

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~arein...ix/matrix.html

Frank_t

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    well I'm going to download it now...

So if it works for me, I tell you what you need to do, as I'm running the same system and version of Quake 3.

Edit: One thing I've just noticed: The mod is on the small side, I wouldn't be surprised if the maps came separately, for example, most mods that come with maps are over 100Mb, this download seems a little too small at 20Mb.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Ok, well I unzipped the file, put it in the Quake 3 folder. Loaded the mod. Clicked single player, clicked skirmish, then chose the Lobby level, then loaded the game.

works perfectly fine for me... \
  • Reply 3 of 14
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    I don't get it....what am i doing wrong...Quake 3 run a.o.k on this mac...why is it when i try to run the mod it just goes back to the menu? is it something in the options.

Frank_t
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Well i took out my quake 3 folder in my Application Support folder and the mod works.....but why? what would be makeing it not work?...this means i have to play everthing over to get it to what it was befor

Frank_t
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Well, what mac are you running? Also, do you have any other mods installed?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    I have a MDD Dual 867Mhz PowerMac With Mac os 10.2.6 with Quake 3 full 1.32 and no i don't have any other mods.....

Frank_t
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Well, one thing I was told to do to get another mod working, in this case Urban Terror, was to delete the application support file "q3key" as far as I can remember.

Nice mac you have there, geuss it runs Quake 3 well doesn't it?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Yeah i'll give that a go...it runs quake 3 just fine...90+ FPS..so i'm happy...everything to the max..runs UT 2003 at 30fps....\

Frank_t
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Well, Quake usually runs at 150-180fps, highest Ive recorded it at was 283fps... This was at 1280x1024 max settings. UT2003, the demo, runs at about 40-60fps indoor levels, but outdoors is 30-60fps.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    You get that much FPS with the same set up as me? how?

Frank_t
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Well, I have a GeForce Ti, Plus the faster RAM, faster system bus, more L3 cache... I geuss that all sums up to a higher frame rate.

BTW: I meant system as in 10.2.6... not the hardware... Look at my sig.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Hate to give you the bad news but you have the same L3 cache as me

But i guess that card is what gives you the upper hand over my mac...

Frank_t
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Interesting, its fast enough for me. I could do with an extra 512MB of RAM though, as sometimes Wolfenstein needs to access data from my HD, which is very annoying when playing online...

One thing, sdo you notice how Quake 3 mods always seem to catastrophically reduce frame rates?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    yeah...Quake 3 is a old game..is 4 years old so any new mods people make they make with the idea they can push it like todays games with there maps and mods.

Frank_t