classic

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Me dad has an old classicmac2 running system 7, though unfortunately its knackered. hes thinking of buying a new G4and wants to know i fyou can run system 7 software in classicmode or 0S9.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    That depends on the type of old software he uses. I can run old games from the System 6 era through Classic just fine (like Stunt Copter and Shuffle Puck Cafe). It's really just a matter of actually testing the software to see if it'll run or not.

Of course, the best route would be to see if there are more modern, native versions of the software he uses. Otherwise, his purchase would really be a waste and he should instead be looking for older, used Macs.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

Me dad has an old classicmac2 running system 7, though unfortunately its knackered. hes thinking of buying a new G4and wants to know i fyou can run system 7 software in classicmode or 0S9.

Any ideas?

a new G4 most likely will not run os 9 (they are os x only now, except the iBooks--G3--and eMacs--G4)...unless you go iBook or eMac and run it in os 9 instead of os x, you are limited to classic or buying used...

g
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

That depends on the type of old software he uses. I can run old games from the System 6 era through Classic just fine (like Stunt Copter and Shuffle Puck Cafe). It's really just a matter of actually testing the software to see if it'll run or not.

Of course, the best route would be to see if there are more modern, native versions of the software he uses. Otherwise, his purchase would really be a waste and he should instead be looking for older, used Macs.

He uses or used to use quark which costs about a grand for the new version he is deadset on a new mac and has this idea of networking them together and accessing the classic2 through X, not too sure if that will work. i said earlier it was knackered, but thats just the monitor port.

So will this work?

Or, if i installed his hd in me dual g4 and copied it over to a cd (its only a tiny 250mb hd)will he be able to run it through classic(quark that is)?

he'll probably get an emac.

cheers for the help peeps.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    It would help if you mentioned what version of Quark you have... I have three myself.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I can run old games from the System 6 era through Classic just fine (like Stunt Copter and Shuffle Puck Cafe).

Any pointers for a free / cheap copy of ShufflePuck?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    ooeck not sure about that, think its 3 or 4.

Just bought a 60mhz machine for him off ebay for £15, though i would still like to know if hes in luck with previous suggestions.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    I have 3.1.1, 4.0.1, and 4.1, they all run in the latest classic available.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Any pointers for a free / cheap copy of ShufflePuck?

ShufflePuck Cafe... a total winner!

Stunt Copter... is that the little copter that drops little stick dudes on that hay wagon (I love killing the horse and the little splat noise it made! ). Or is it the one where you fly the helicopter around the 3D city shooting stuff with your machine gun? The latter was a real game that required a disk in the drive to play if I recall.

Don't get me started on Crystal Quest or Dark Castle.

Good times.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

ShufflePuck Cafe... a total winner!

Stunt Copter... is that the little copter that drops little stick dudes on that hay wagon (I love killing the horse and the little splat noise it made! ). Or is it the one where you fly the helicopter around the 3D city shooting stuff with your machine gun? The latter was a real game that required a disk in the drive to play if I recall.

Don't get me started on Crystal Quest or Dark Castle.

Good times.

No, stunt copter was the one with the hay wagon and stick people

Ahh, the good times. Anyone know of an OS X version? Care to make one?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

He uses or used to use quark which costs about a grand for the new version he is deadset on a new mac and has this idea of networking them together and accessing the classic2 through X, not too sure if that will work. i said earlier it was knackered, but thats just the monitor port.

So will this work?

Or, if i installed his hd in me dual g4 and copied it over to a cd (its only a tiny 250mb hd)will he be able to run it through classic(quark that is)?

he'll probably get an emac.

cheers for the help peeps.

well, there's not going to be much of a way to connect the two machines... i don't believe the classic2 has an expansion port to add an ethernet card... though once upon a time there were scsi etherhet boxes...

also, the HD in the classic2 is a SCSI disk, not IDE so it's not going to plug into your G4 too easily.