Buying advice: Laser printer

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm looking for experiences/opinions on using a laser printer (which model, why, pro/con, etc.) for the following situation:

Home setup with an iBook 2001 (500 MHz, 10.2.6). Eventually, I /might/ get AirPort (card for the iBook, base station). Then, I would like the printer being connected to the base station. Would I preferably set up a network-printer (connect via Ethernet), or would it be via USB?

The printer should be "longer term investment", because the home setup /might/ expand (second portable Mac, also with AirPort). Or is this "overkill"?

We don't print that often at home, but we want to be able to print occassionally.

BTW: we have a Lexmark Z23 (ink-jet) right now (came free with the iBook), but the ink has dried and the printer gives us nothing but trouble (I guess that's why it was free...). That's why I'm fed up with ink jets and I'm thinking about a laser printer.

TIA,

Jan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Samsung ML-1430 or ML-1450.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    shankstashanksta Posts: 96member
    I work with a few Samsung ML-1430s and they are ok and don't cost too much, but if you want a real long term printer I suggest the HP LaserJet 1300. You can get the 1300n if you want the ethernet port included but I suggest you hold out until you need it because they also have a wireless print server and that would be much better if you ever wanted to move it around and place it anywhere.

Its more costly than the Samsung but prints faster and more advanced.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Samsung ML-1430 or ML-1450.

Ditto.

I run the older Ml-1210, it's a $140 laser that's a fscking dream. I run it with the drivers provided by linux printing on my iBook700/10.2.6 and the performance has been wonderful.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shanksta

I work with a few Samsung ML-1430s and they are ok and don't cost too much, but if you want a real long term printer I suggest the HP LaserJet 1300. You can get the 1300n if you want the ethernet port included but I suggest you hold out until you need it because they also have a wireless print server and that would be much better if you ever wanted to move it around and place it anywhere.

Its more costly than the Samsung but prints faster and more advanced.

I've been very happy with my LaserJet 1200, so the 1300 should be mo'betta. Sometimes you gets streaks with grays and gradients, but that happens on most lasers. The toner cartridges print well beyond their labeled life expectancy, and they're relatively inexpensive.

I use mine in conjunction with an AirPort Extreme basestation.