Design This : Shock-Proof Egg Capsule

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In 9th grade we had a science olympics, one of the events was to design a container that would protect one (1) raw chicken egg from being broken. I can't remember the rules, but your score improved as the container weighed less. The container would be dropped from successively higher drops until a winner emerged.

What would you design?

How would it work?

Keep the weight under 1lb of materials...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

In 9th grade we had a science olympics, one of the events was to design a container that would protect one (1) raw chicken egg from being broken. I can't remember the rules, but your score improved as the container weighed less. The container would be dropped from successively higher drops until a winner emerged.

What would you design?

How would it work?

Keep the weight under 1lb of materials...

We did that in junior high too. I can't for the life of me recall what my team did for out container, but I do recall something about rubber band, and it failed.

I think the winner used a container tightly filled with popcorn, with the egg in the centre of the popcorn mass.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Yup, that's what our winner did...maybe styrofoam peanuts. He filled up a soda can and put the egg in the center of the foam packing....walked around between events bouncing the can off of the walls.

We designed a pyramid with a big copter blade to slow its descent. The egg rode in a little jacket, isolated from the walls with a system of rubber bands. Our egg broke on the first drop.

Can-boy won the whole shooting match.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    jonathanjonathan Posts: 312member
    did that, as well... ours entailed using 10 sheets of computer paper, and masking tape. as the only materials.

oh, and string.

I made a gigantic frigging parachute *3* sheets of paper, string to a 'capsule' that was made out of paper that was braided together. stuffed that with whatever i had left, crumpled up.

the stupid parachute barely worked.

did survive 5 stories, though,along with others. it was simple: whoever survived from the second floor got a D, third, C, fourth, B, and fifth, A.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    we were forced to make it with balsa wood and straws... it worked. it was simply a nearly sphere within a nearly sphere tightly rubber banded together...