LiveType and Keynote, so happy together!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am currently attending the annual New Media Consortium conference in Virginia. Apple is one of the exhibitors and is, of course, showing off Final Cut Pro 4.

LiveType, one of the new components of FCP, can create advanced text effects that treat each letter as an individual sprite. It has professional quality particle effects, and it uses Apple's killer new LifeFont technology. The stunner though, is that it embeds an alpha channel in the video that allows seamless compositing of a LiveType video over other videos or backgrounds in Final Cut Pro.

Now Keynote already supports alpha channels in still images. Drop in a TIFF (etc.) with a transparent background, and you get seamless blending with the background with full transparency and feathering, etc.

Well, we had some time for free experimentation with both apps, so we figured, what the heck - alpha channel in a still...alpha channel in video, right? We created a type effect in LiveType and then exported it to a .mov file. Then we dragged and dropped that file into an open Keynote presentation -- it looked good so far (just as if we had dropped in a still).

Then we hit the preview button. Wow! The type effect rendered perfectly against the Keynote slide background.

This opens up a whole new realm of possibilities for owners of both Final Cut Pro 4 and Keynote. You early adopters should check it out; it will blow you away.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    that is probably awsome, LiveType should be a seperate applicationause i am never going to spend $999
  • Reply 2 of 6
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by eizzumdm

I am currently attending the annual New Media Consortium conference in Virginia. Apple is one of the exhibitors and is, of course, showing off Final Cut Pro 4.

LiveType, one of the new components of FCP, can create advanced text effects that treat each letter as an individual sprite. It has professional quality particle effects, and it uses Apple's killer new LifeFont technology. The stunner though, is that it embeds an alpha channel in the video that allows seamless compositing of a LiveType video over other videos or backgrounds in Final Cut Pro.

Now Keynote already supports alpha channels in still images. Drop in a TIFF (etc.) with a transparent background, and you get seamless blending with the background with full transparency and feathering, etc.

Well, we had some time for free experimentation with both apps, so we figured, what the heck - alpha channel in a still...alpha channel in video, right? We created a type effect in LiveType and then exported it to a .mov file. Then we dragged and dropped that file into an open Keynote presentation -- it looked good so far (just as if we had dropped in a still).

Then we hit the preview button. Wow! The type effect rendered perfectly against the Keynote slide background.

This opens up a whole new realm of possibilities for owners of both Final Cut Pro 4 and Keynote. You early adopters should check it out; it will blow you away.

How does it work? Is it a movie file? Is it a special LiveType/Font gizmo file. Keynote and Live Fonts seemed like a good match...I had wet dreams about a Keynote/LiveFont combination a couple months ago...I guess they're coming true.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    edit: ...weird vBulletin twilighty zone problems.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Anyways...can we get screenshots? Or can you upload the Keynote presentation file?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    eizzumdmeizzumdm Posts: 27member
    kim kap sol, the file that is exported from LiveType seems to be a standard Final Cut Pro movie (DV format , 720x480). I am not sure if it has other export options.

Unfortunately, I will not get a chance to play with FCP 4 again until July 1 (new fiscal year for our university). Also, I no longer have access to the computer where the two programs were installed, so I can't get screenshots.

Interesting note: I announced my discovery to an Apple employee who trains other Apple employees how to use FCP 4, and he was unaware that such a combination was possible.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by eizzumdm

Interesting note: I announced my discovery to an Apple employee who trains other Apple employees how to use FCP 4, and he was unaware that such a combination was possible.

Hehe...s'funny when you discover things before the experts or even the developers do.