I have just received apple store e-news!!??

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just received the Apple store e-news UK, I found this part very interesting!

"With new low prices on both 12-inch and 15-inch models, there's never been a better time to step up to the power, versatility and style of the latest PowerBook. If computing on the move is your top requirement, then wireless networking with AirPort Extreme will ensure you are always on the go! Enhance your PowerBook's performance with optional RAM upgrades: up to 1.25GB on the 12-inchand up to 2GB on the 17-inch models. You might even consider stepping out in style with a Brenthaven bag to hold your PowerBook and all its accessories. PowerBook now starting at £1,299, these and more - all at the Apple Store "

I thought that the expandable RAM on the 12" powerbook was 640mb. Please confirm that this is a mistake, or is this what they will announce on june 23rd?????

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cwedl

Enhance your PowerBook's performance with optional RAM upgrades: up to 1.25GB on the 12-inchand up to 2GB on the 17-inch models.

I thought that the expandable RAM on the 12" powerbook was 640mb. Please confirm that this is a mistake, or is this what they will announce on june 23rd????? [/B]

actually, this has been possible for the past few months, due to some ridiculously dense ram chips (1 gb sodimms, if i'm not mistaken) that were designed to fill spots like this... the drawback is that they are STUPIDLY expensive - don't quote me, but i think i saw them for something insane like 800 euros (that's US$940 for a single chip!!!)

apple still needs to allow the other ram chip in the 12" g4 book to be modified (or default to 512 mb) to give the consuemr the most flexibility, in my not-so-humble opinion.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I couldn't see needing more than 640 on a laptop, on a desktop maybe, but not on the laptop. I'm sure there are some things(audio, imaging) that are ram guzzlers, but it still seems like 640 would be enough for just about anything you'd be running on a laptop.

Of course I could be wrong, I've never worked with more than 384 and that was in OS 9, I'm stuck with 256 in OS X
  • Reply 3 of 8
    so then could you pack 4GB of ram in a powermac?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    How would you get 1.25 GB on a 12" PowerBook? Add a 1.0 GB RAM chip to the soldered-on 128 MB chip and you get 1.125 GB. Perhaps the next revision will feature 256 MB of RAM on the motherboard? Let's hope, 128 MB is so lame.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

I couldn't see needing more than 640 on a laptop,

Unless you use the PowerBook with a 20" Cinema Display at home! 1GB RAM minimum, please.

Escher
  • Reply 6 of 8
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

I couldn't see needing more than 640 on a laptop...

...unless, like more and more people are getting (including myself, soon) the laptop is your sole computer and you're a graphic designer, illustrator, web person, etc.

Apple themselves boasts about these latest PowerBooks being quite capable of replacing desktops in many cases (again, me), so if that's the case, running OS X, Photoshop, Entourage, Dreamweaver, Flash, iTunes, a browser, Transmit, Word, scanning software, etc. is easily going to start knocking on the 640MB door.

I've got 512MB in my iMac and I can have Mail, Safari, iChat, iTunes, Suitcase, Illustrator and Photoshop all open and things do pretty well. Much beyond that, I notice some real lags and overall lack of "pep".

I'm a true believer in the whole "you can never have too much RAM" school of thinking. While I do think it's possible to have too much hard drive, too much processor (what's an e-mailing granny going to do with a dual 1.42GHz PowerMac?), too much clutter, too much jerry-rigged third-party crap, etc. I don't think you could EVER have too much RAM.

Or screen real estate.

• Reply 7 of 8
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

How would you get 1.25 GB on a 12" PowerBook? Add a 1.0 GB RAM chip to the soldered-on 128 MB chip and you get 1.125 GB. Perhaps the next revision will feature 256 MB of RAM on the motherboard? Let's hope, 128 MB is so lame.

The 12" PB comes with 256MB soldered to the board, not 128. Only the iBook and eMac come with 128 built in (hopefully that will change soon enough).
  • Reply 8 of 8
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmo

The 12" PB comes with 256MB soldered to the board, not 128.

I wish. Unfortunately that is not true, Cosmo. The 12-inch PowerBook comes with 128MB of RAM soldered to the mobo and 128MB in the empty slot. If you want to max out the RAM, you need to toss the 128MB chip and replace it with a 512MB chip for a total of 640MB RAM, just like on the iBook.

Escher