"Multi-Threading"

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
We need a new thread to explain we don't need a new thread. See my other thread about the thread.

"Don't thread on me."

Edit: Oops, this is already covered in another thread. Sorry.

(I feel like a smart-ass today)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    coscos Posts: 99member
    lol
  • Reply 2 of 10
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I predict a move to "General Discussion" or "Suggestions", if not an outright lock.

At any rate I think I personally favor new threads more often than the moderators generally do. Yes, I see the need to avoid an explosion of threads for every nuance and tangent of a particular discussion -- and certainly I see a need to get rid of plainly redundant threads created simply because someone didn't notice a perfectly applicable thread that was already running -- but at times I think too much concern is placed on the economy of threads when it would be better to let some topics spin off into a separate thread life of their own.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    I also favor new threads more often than the Mods allow. Basically this is because threads drift into odd tangents and because new events come up that should specifically be discussed. I hate having to search through a thread to find when somebody posted the latest 970 production rumor. It gets irritating. Short threads stay on topic better and their titles can be more specific.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    God.. Why does a little group just have to start rioting?

Jerks vs. Mods.. Geeez....
  • Reply 5 of 10
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Go Jerks!!!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

I also favor new threads more often than the Mods allow. Basically this is because threads drift into odd tangents and because new events come up that should specifically be discussed. I hate having to search through a thread to find when somebody posted the latest 970 production rumor. It gets irritating. Short threads stay on topic better and their titles can be more specific.

If you have a suggestion about how the boards should be, please post in... Suggestions.

Thank you.

Moving to Suggestions, smartass initial post and all.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

I agree. These threads go SOOO far off from the original topic it's a freaking disaster in here. if a thread says 970 now it's a lock right out, but say your in the topic, and having a good conversation that is on the subject at hand, other 970 issues come up on the net, and they don't allow any of you guy's to start new threads so every-possible aspect of the 970 go's into that thread, it tends to dilute any specific's that could have gone into detail, and never get noticed because everything possible is in that freaking thread.

I must say this place is disappointing me somewhat, and I've been coming here for years.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I disagree.. People has a tendece to start a new thread if they found out that Steve wears blue pannies, instead of yellow ones, each thursdag...

Small subject already being discussed dont require new threads, big subjects do!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    i've seen the notation "merged" appended to threads the mods/admins have chosen to blend

perhaps similar functions to "split" or "spin-off" tangents from parent topics exist
  • Reply 10 of 10
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

I disagree.. People has a tendece to start a new thread if they found out that Steve wears blue pannies, instead of yellow ones, each thursdag...

Small subject already being discussed dont require new threads, big subjects do!

Yeah, some threads need locking. Some people are stupid and need thrashing. But not unless you see the world through a 1-bit black and white monitor (or you are trying to be an a** kisser) would you disagree. The two options are not a.) lock everything but the one true divine thread, and b.) let everything run wild. Ergo, somewhere in the middle is more appropriate. Right now we're pretty close to option "a," and that isn't good for the health of the forum from where I sit.